Knowing that you're about to die can certainly have a liberating effect on people
, as suddenly all the constraining rules of etiquette and having to play nice suddenly don't seem so important anymore. For example, sometimes it lets people get past hangups like Cannot Spit It Out
and make a final, tragic statement of love
... and sometimes it lets you tell someone you loathe, especially you've had to put up with because they're part of your social circle or someone with power over you like a boss, just what a Jerk Ass
This can be played either for laughs or drama. Either way counts as being related to "Facing the Bullets" One-Liner
, while the more dramatic version tends to overlap with tropes such as Dying Curse
and Defiant to the End
. Inversions include Dying Declaration of Love
and It Has Been an Honor
Compare See You in Hell
Anime and Manga
- Evil Matriarch Precia Testarossa in the original Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha series confesses her hatred for Fate, though neither is dying at that point. Later on, when Precia is falling to her death, Fate tries to save her but she rejects her again.
- In Umineko: When They Cry, Eva declares her hatred of her niece Ange a few minutes before she dies. Ange hardly seems surprised and retorts that it's mutual.
- Naruto makes it one its biggest Tear Jerkers in the Gaara flashback, when Yashamaru says to Gaara that he never loved him, nor did Gaara's own mother (who died giving him birth), before making himself explode. And it's revealed much later that it wasn't even the truth.
Live Action TV
- The Emperor's New Groove: Right after Pacha rescues Kuzco from the panthers, they end up tied to a log. Pacha insists he can think of a way out; the log then cracks, leaving just enough time for Kuzco to say "I hate you", before they plummet into the chasm below.
- Aliens has an unusual variation. When Vazquez and Ensign Newbie Gorman get ready to kill themselves and some nearby aliens with a grenade, Vazquez says "You always were an asshole, Gorman." The unusual thing is that she means it, referring to Gorman's incompetence as an officer and such, but there's also a twinge of respect because Gorman showed in courage in trying to come back to save her.
- In Red vs. Blue Church uses his dying words to say that he always hated Tucker most.
- Also, during Recreation, when Grif thought they were going to die he used the time to call out Sarge and tell Sarge what he really thought of him.
- Romeo and Juliet has the last words of Mercutio (who's death changes the tone of the play completely), where he says this not just of Tybalt (who actually killed him) but Romeo and everyone in the families who's feud lead to his death.
- Many productions of Peter Pan have Hook take a moment to tell Peter just how much he loathes Pan immediately before falling to the croc.
- Towards the end of 8-Bit Theater, Black Mage starts using power that essentially make him a Humanoid Abomination and killing off the other main cast members. Thief attempts to backstab Black Mage, but it does no harm at all. Thief's "Facing the Bullets" One-Liner is "My only regret is not hating you more."
- In one strip of Beaver and Steve, the two title characters are cornered by monsters in an alley. When Beaver asks Steve if there's anything he wants to say before they die, he replies "I've always secretly hated you."
- As Redcloak's brother Right-eye is dying at the end of The Order of the Stick prequel Start of Darkness, he refers to his brother as "Red-cloak", a name he basically considers a demeaning slave name, for the first time.
- In Dragon Ball Abridged, Guldo, the Butt Monkey from the Ginyu Force, often tried to reach out and be friendly to Vegeta, only for Vegeta to abuse him in return. In particular, Vegeta had a fondness for throwing doggie treats at Guldo's head, which Guldo found especially demeaning. When Guldo is fighting Gohan and Krillin, he gets mortally wounded by a sneak attack by Vegeta, and begins pondering the afterlife... and Vegeta breaks ir up by throwing a dog biscuit at his head.
(while the theme from American Beauty
plays) This is the end of the road. The end for me. I... I wonder... will I dream?
[Hits Guldo in the face with a thrown dog biscuit]
I know. (Calmly finishes Guldo off