Rolling Updates, Needs a Better Description, How Do We Not Have This We all know one. That one guy or girl who is absolutely fanatical about their team. They know all the players, all the stats, watch every game and will talk your ear off about them given the chance. They can be from any walk of life, and are perhaps the most acceptable type of nerd. In fiction, usually portrayed endearingly or Played for Laughs as someone so over the top they have trouble maintaining any semblance of balance in their life. A type of Hollywood Nerd, probably the most socially-acceptable of all types of fandom. The spouse of one can be a Sports Widow. A subtrope of Pastimes Prove Personality.
ExamplesAnime and Manga
- Casey, a minor recurring character in Pokémon, and her family are obsessed with the Electabuzz baseball team.
- The protagonist of the American version of Fever Pitch is a crazy Red Sox fan. Its an integral part of the movie. The British versions have a mad Arsenal fan instead, as the book is autobiographical and author Nick Hornby follows and explores his own passionate Arsenal support.
- Sandy from The Rebound who keeps her own file of statistics and analysis to help her fantasy teams. Turns out be a bit of Chekhov's Skill when it helps her get a job as a researcher for a sports show.
- Played for Drama in The FAN about a fan with crazed love for his team who blames them for his own rapidly disintegrating life and becomes homicidal.
- The movie Celtic Pride has two obsessed fans meet the Opposing Sports Team star player in a bar, and end up kidnapping him prior to a championship game.
- Billy's mother in Buffalo 66 was this way. She resented her son to the point of eventual estrangement because she was forced to miss the only championship game the Buffalo Bills won, in 1966, because she went into labor with him that day.
- Abby from Against The Wall is mad for her Chicago Bears.
- Saturday Night Live had recurring skits about characters who lived in Chicago who were rabid fans of the Bulls (basketball) and the Bears (football).
- Several callers on The Coodabeen Champions, but the standout is Digger, a Collingwood fan who has "Been following football for (insert inflated number here) years". His most excessive act was in the 1990 Grand Final show when, having been laid up in hospital, he hijacked an ambulance in order to make it to the game.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.