Launching after we decide on a title. Alt-titles crowner here.Needs a Better Title, Rolling Updates. Alt. Titles: Under Drag, Drag Student, Drag School Graduate, Grad In Drag, Class Crossdresser, Cross Dress Code, New School New Gender, Trans Fer Student
Indexes: School Tropes, Gender Blending Tropes.
A New Transfer Student is about to start at their new school. The problem is that it's a One-Gender School for the opposite sex. So the new student has to become a Crossdresser to attend the school, and canít let their real gender be discovered. Whether it is to infiltrate the school or to just attend (voluntarily or forcedly), hilarity usually ensues. Versions with a girl in a school for boys and a boy in a school for girls both exist. This is really the only way to pursue a heterosexual relationship in a One-Gender School (unless the school employs a teacher of the opposite sex). Otherwise, the school would likely be the setting of Boys Love or Girls Love, or would at least have plenty of Ho Yay or Les Yay. A Sub-Trope of Twelfth Night Adventure. Compare Wholesome Crossdresser, which this tends to be. For the male-to-female version, see Disguised in Drag; for its Distaff Counterpart, see Sweet Polly Oliver.
ExamplesAnime and Manga
- Suke Banji from Delinquent in Drag attends an all-girl school disguised as a girl. At least he does in the manga; the anime apparently changed it to a co-ed school that gave him the wrong uniform.
- In Hana-Kimi, Mizuki Ashiya crossdresses to join an all-boys school and meet her favorite athlete.
- Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru. A boy has to crossdress as a girl to attend an all-girl school, in order to fulfill the last wishes of his late mother (who went to that school herself). Good thing he's ridiculously Bishōnen, and has gorgeous, long hair due to another wish from her. He ends up winning a beauty-and-femininity contest for the entire school. Yes, he is, in fact, better at being a girl than several hundred actual girls.
- I My Me! Strawberry Eggs has a teacher do it, in a school that only accepts female teachers.
- In MariaÜHolic, the crossdresser in question is actually not the main character.
- Massively played with in Infinite Stratos with Charlotte, a girl who enters an all girls school as a boy to compete with the The One Guy.
- Ranma Ĺ had Ukyo, the Wholesome Crossdresser of the series, who attended a couple all-boys schools in her time.
- In Tenshi Ja Nai, the New Transfer Student protagonist really is a girl, but her roommate isn't. Things get interesting when she finds out.
- Azami from Himawari! attends an all-girls ninja school. However, in this case, everyone there knows he's Disguised in Drag and doesn't mind because he spies on an all-boys school for them.
- As if being the only boy in all-girls school isn't bad enough, Kaguya from Marugoto Anju Gakuen is the only human in a school for demons.
- In Danshi Kinshitsu!!, the main character discovers three boys doing this at her school. One is the "girl" she admired.
- Yuuki from Gekkou Teien lies about her gender to enroll in theatre department of an all-boys school where all studentsí must stay in the dorm.
- Kei from Houou Gakuen Misoragumi is only interested in other girls. But her mother tricks her and now she has to attend an all-boys school disguised as a boy.
- In Boku ni Natta Watashi, a boy secures a place at a prestigious boys school, but runs away from home. His mother forces his twin sister to "temporarily" take his place.
- Another teacher example comes from I Girl. An Office Lady must substitute as her twin brother at the all-girls school he works at.
- Yentl had this, as it was set during a time when women were not to become educated.
- Just One Of The Guys (1985): Terry believes her teachers don't take her seriously, just because she's a pretty girl. When she fails to win a journalism contest, she decides to switch schools - and gender. She plays her role well and is accepted as one of the guys. However then she meets Rick... and likes him.
- Anything For Love (1993) (a.k.a. Just One of the Girls): Chris constantly is pushed around by bully Kurt and his gang. When he has to change to the same school as them, he decides to disguise himself in women's clothes on his way to school to avoid his tormentors. However, on the first morning he runs into two teachers when still dressed up as female - so he's bound to the role.
- In Tamora Pierce's Tortall Universe, Alanna disguised herself as "Alan" to train for knighthood. Applies here because the initial training, as a page, takes place in a school setting.
- Young Americans: Jake is really a girl, trying to get her mother's attention.
- Hanazakari no Kimitachi e is a J-drama adaptation of Hana-Kimi (see above).
- Hanazakarino Kimitachihe is another Hana-Kimi adaptation, this one Taiwanese.
- Big Time Rush: Logan wants to attend a lecture given by a female professor at an all girls school. Of course, this doesn't last long and he is found out quickly.
- In Princess Ida, Prince Hilarion and his friends crossdress to infiltrate his bride's all-woman college.
- Akira from Rival Schools does this to find out what happened to her brother.
- In an episode of The Simpsons, Springfield Elementary is split into two schools. Lisa decides to attend the boys' school because the girls' school isn't teaching math properly.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.