Berate And Switch YKTTW Discussion
|Berate And Switch|
What appears to be condemnation turns out to be approval or enthusiasm.Needs Examples Already have?
A comedic trope where a character assesses the current situation, listing typically unpleasant, unfavorable, or immoral actions or thoughts, and the conclusion drawn is the opposite of what you expect: they are very favorable and happy about it. The comedy can come from the fact that obsession and revulsion can result in a similar level of enthusiasm. Beauty, fashion sense, cuisine choice, etc. are all in the eye of the beholder. This is a form of subverted Sarcasm Mode. Unlike Bad Is Good and Good Is Bad, this trope is used for comedy and is definitely not played straight. Expect sitcoms to cue the Laugh Track. For example:
- Bob: Look at this car! It's covered in rust, the stuffing's coming out of the seats, and you have to kick the trunk to get it to open...beautiful, isn't it?
- From The Killing Joke:
The Joker: Well, it's garish, ugly, and derelicts have used it for a toilet. The rides are dilapidated to the point of being lethal, and could easily maim or kill innocent little children.Estate Agent: Oh. So you don't like it?The Joker: Don't like it? I'm crazy for it.
- In book 6 of Ranger's Apprentice, a knight is sizing up a group of Skandian pirates he's been put in charge of. Scars, nasty tattoos, long greasy beards, beer guts; all in all as untidy, rank-smelling and rough-tongued a bunch of pirates as one could be unlucky enough to run into...
Sir Horace: They're beautiful.
- Star Trek: Generations. Data has recently had an emotion chip installed and is busy experiencing new things. When he tries one of Guinan's new drinks he hates it (as it tastes revolting) but eagerly asks for more.
- Oscar the Grouch on Sesame Street. His signature song is "I Love Trash". Anything dirty or dingy or dusty, anything ragged or rotten or rusty....
- From The Monkees episode "Monkees in the Ring":
Mike: You're gonna be going through a lot strange cities, and there's always this one hotel: one with a lot of heavy drinking, a lot of fast women, and a lot of loose talk. You know what to do when you get to town?Davy: Find that hotel!Mike: And you'll do fine.
- The Good Life: in "The Pagan Rite" when Tom and Barbara are out to dinner, they say that their food is full of artificial additives, cholesterol, etc., and Tom ends up saying, "Great, isn't it?"
- A typical Get Smart quote:
Chief: You understand your current assignment means you will be in constant danger, unable to trust anyone, and face torture or even death.Max: And...loving it.
- The various versions of The Addams Family are full of this trope, a rainy day will be described as something beautiful, flowers with only stems are more attractive, and dolls should be headless.
Morticia: Last night you were unhinged. You were like some desperate, howling demon. You frightened me. Do it again!
- From the 1991 film:
- The Aquabats! Super Show! combined this trope with Strange Minds Think Alike. First the MC Bat Commander describes being on tour involving truck stop food, public restrooms and a complete lack of showers as the best thing ever. After their Battle Tram is stolen by an unscrupulous carnival worker named Carl, he describes going out on the open road the exact same way; truck stop food, public restrooms, and complete lack of showers is like heaven on wheels.
- "We've run into scorpions the size of battle tanks, three men died from Eyerot last week. I've sweat enough to fill a lake, my boots got sucked into a sink-swamp and the trees are so thick in places, you can't squeeze between them. Emperor help me, I love this place! It's just like home!"
- One of the Shadowknight's quotes from Champions of Norrath hints at this:
Shadowknight: Whoever designed this dungeon was sick, twisted and half-mad... my compliments!Western Animation
- In My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, Rarity spends time hanging out with posh ponies instead of designing her friend Twilight Sparkle's birthday dress. When Twilight shows up out of the blue, she seems to hate the plain dress, until she says she loves its simplicity and practicality.
- In the first episode of Futurama, aafter Fry is unfrozen in the future, he reflects on how his girlfriend, parents, and everyone he's ever known is dead, pauses and says "Woo-hoo!"
- In Beauty and the Beast, Gaston tells the asylum warden of his plan to force Belle to marry him by threatening to commit her father. He says "That's despicable... I love it!".
- In Addams Family Values, the family is shocked when the baby turns out to enjoy hearing pleasant stories read to him and that he has curly blonde hair.