For some video game characters, picking up objects from the environment and throwing them is their only method of self-defense. Alternatively, they may have other methods of attack, but this is their primary. Sometimes combined with the Goomba Stomp. Common in older games and popular with characters in licensed games who don't usually fight in the source material.
Examples:Help add links to the appropriate articles! Feel free to add examples yourself, as I probably don't know the details!
- All four playable characters in Super Mario Bros. 2 attack by uprooting vegetables, bombs, Koopa shells, and other items to throw at enemies. Enemies themselves can be thrown as well.
- Mario fights most of the boss battles in Donkey Kong '94 by throwing barrels at DK. Most enemies can also be picked up and thrown at each other.
- Both Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers games are full of miniature crates that the protagonists lift and throw.
- Goofy and/or Max in Goof Troop pick up and throw nuts, vases, potted plants, barrels, bombs, and fallen stalactites throughout the game.
- George Jetson in The Jetsons: Cogswell's Caper (NES) fights mainly by throwing metal-looking packing crates, but also sometimes apples, cogs, rocks, and anything else he can find lying around.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.