Do We Have This One
, Needs A Better Title
, Needs More Examples
, Description Needs Work
, Needs An Image
One of the best ways to add drama to a fight scene is to have the location itself to be a danger. A Battle On A Narrow Playing Field
takes place within the spacial constraints of an area that is many times longer than it is wide, almost always with some consequence for violating the limits of the space. Whether it's a speeding bus, speeding train, bridge over white-water rapids, it ramps up the action to know that if either character falls off the side, it is serious trouble for him. This will also lend to the direct charges typical of a Single Stroke Battle
In Video Games
this can also take the form of platform battles.
Anime And Manga
- During the Tournament Arc of Yu Yu Hakusho, Yusuke has one very evenly-matched fight that near the end turns into a fist fight within the physical limits between two daggers in the ground, where either the first man to step out of the limits or the first one to lose consciousness will lose the fight. They don't make much use of the available area, though.
- Invoked by the Genre Savvy Kenshin on Samurai X, when he both runs from the enemy (in order to make the slower ones get delayed) and this (runs into a bridge) to force Mook Chivalry and make them have to attack one at the time
- The climactic fight in Priest takes place on top of a train. There are a few Single Stroke Battle passes, though they're certainly not battle-enders.
- In Dead Mans Chest of the Pirates Of The Carribean franchise, there is the battle on the rolling mill-wheel.
- The Matrix Reloaded. The battle between Morpheus and the upgraded Agent on top of the big rig truck while it's driving down a freeway.
- In Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII, Zack and Sephiroth battle on the narrow bridge in Jenova's chamber, and if you don't finish the battle fast enough Zack is pushed off.
- The first episode of Trinity Blood involves a battle on top of a luxury airship. Since it's a Curb Stomp Battle and the airship was very large there wasn't much tension with characters falling off the side.