The Secret Life of the Backyard Kids is probably the most famous Backyard Sports Fan Fic that doesn't have anything to do with sports. It was written by a girl known as rose64bud in deviantART, who started publishing it in November 2011 and has yet to complete it.
TSLOTBK is different from most fanfictions written by teenage girls. There's Ho Yay but no slash, and no Mary Sue. It's late 2008, and Jorge Garcia had just outran Pablo Sanchez on all fours, but he doesn't know why. He finds out he has magic powers, and that the reason he outran Pablo was because he was so powerful. He uses his powers to defeat an Alpha Bitch Complete Monster, Tiffany Stevens, all the while, trying to live a normal life. What's more, Achmed starts a budding romance with Samantha Pearce, even though Tiffany is his girlfriend.
Also, in a (probable) life-threatening situation for Jorge, he transforms into a panther to protect himself, and gains Super Strength and Super Speed from the experience. He tries to live a normal life while his shell peeks out, and tries to keep his identity secret from his friends Dmitri, Achmed, Angela, Reese, and Tony. But Tiffany is always after him...
It's on deviantART here
- Alpha Bitch: Tiffany Stevens, to the Nth degree.
- Anti-Hero: Jorge's starts out as a Type I, and is usually a Type II but on his bad days he's a Type III or even IV.
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished: Averted by Tiffany, played straight by Jorge. Also, the above aversion lead to a string of events in story.
- Broken Bird / Troubled, but Cute: Jorge, who's mother is dead, father pressures him to be perfect, and has powers he doesn't want.
- The Cheerleader: The first chapter describes Tiffany Stevens as one of these.
- Clingy Jealous Girl / Shallow Love Interest: Angela
- Complete Monster: Tiffany wants to turn Jorge into a mindless beast because she can. Need we say more?
- Cool Loser: Jorge is handsome, rich, and charismatic, so it's jarring that he's bullied by Tiffany Stevens and close friends with nerds Dmitri and Reese.
- Coy, Girlish Flirt Pose: Invoked by Angela when she's trying to flirt with Jorge.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Jorge, who dresses up like Zorro.
- Evil Is Sexy: Tiffany Stevens.
- Evil Redhead: Tiffany.
- Expy: Jorge is a male version of Sailor Moon crossed with Zorro.
- Fanfic Chop Suey
- Growing Muscles Sequence: Jorge's graphic transformation into a panther caused his skinny physique to bulk up.
- Hair of Gold: Samantha Pearce.
- High School Hustler: Achmed, the most popular kid in school.
- Hollywood Homely: In Chapter 4, Angela explains how she can't see how the Tall, Dark and Handsome Jorge would want to go out with a Moe Blob like her, however, in the first chapter, she is described as being "quite pretty, with long brown hair and bright brown eyes."
- Ho Yay: Jorge and Tony. Just to drive home how close they are, they sing the Ronettes classic "Be My Baby."
- I Just Want to Be Normal / Lonely Rich Kid: Jorge.
- Latin Lover / Chick Magnet / Kid-anova: Jorge.
Why is everyone fall for Jorge?
- Lean and Mean: Fan art shows Tiffany as this.
- Magnificent Bitch / Manipulative Bitch: Tiffany.
- Megane: Jorge and Dmitri. Jorge is described as wearing glasses in the first chapter, at least.
- Missing Mom: Jorge's mom died when he was little.
- Mr. Fanservice: All the guys except Pablo, Reese, and maybe Dmitri. Jorge is an egregious case of this.
- Ordinary High School Student / Wake Up, Go to School, Save the World: Jorge, though he's in middle school.
- Pretty Boy: Jorge and Tony.
- Princely Young Man: Jorge. He even lampshades it in chapter seven, when he describes his transformation.
- Redheaded Stepchild: Not literally, but when Dmitri tells his mom Jorge threw him through a wall, she assumed he started it-yeah...
- Running on All Fours: In the first chapter, this is how Jorge finds out he has superpowers.
- Shopping Montage: Achmed invokes this with Sam.
- Shorttank: Sam, the plucky Tomboy who just moved to Brickfield.
- Song Fic
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: Jorge. Angela even lampshades it!
- Transformation Sequence: Jorge gets a rather disturbing one.
- The Woobie: Jorge