Needs an index... Finally found one.. Language Tropes Any other index ideas?
Does this picture work? Well title for picture is broken. :(
- Tagon:I see you've just been exposed to Ennesby's weapons-grade vocabulary.Jevee Ceeta:My stomach is in my throat right now. It's trying to spit acid on the parts of my brain that remember reading his message.
Examples:[[foldercontrol]] [[folder:Anime and Manga]]
- Dr. Slump - Arale's boisterously loud "HOWDYA DO!" comes out as solid words and is capable of knocking people off their feet.
- There was an issue of The Authority where Apollo and Midnighter were trying to stop the deaths caused by a killer word: anyone who heard it would kill themselves, but not before whispering the word to someone else, repeating the process.
- The "World's Funniest Joke" sketch from the Flying Circus. People died by a JOKE.
Goddam looked mournful. "I know how it is," he said. "I was in the war. Pinned down in a deadly hail of Jap fire..."
Spam gagged, and his arm went limp.
- The Hitchhikers Guidetothe Galaxy has Vogon poetry, which makes the listeners seriously ill or worse. It is advised to take some other option than that.
- Another example is this is this = they gave a truth serum to someone and, in court, told them to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Everyone in the courtroom died and a special SWAT team had to deal with the problem.
- The Munchkin card game card "cutting remark"
- The unusual example of hurting yourself by speaking: The supplement Book of Vile Darkness also contains "dark speech" - a language so vile, it is impossible to actually communicate with it; with proper preparation you can tie it into magical effects but trying to just straight utter the words would make your mouth bleed.
- There is a Megaphone weapon in Parodius where the attack is words coming out of your spaceship.
- There's several sound-based attacks in the Pokémon series, varying in type between Makes Me Wanna Shout, Brown Note and this. **An example of this type is 'Snarl', a dark-type attack that seemingly involves the pokémon ranting and shouting at the target for a while, inflicting damage and lowering their attack-power.
- Also, in Phoenix Wright, particularly clever counterpoints apparently have the ability to hit opposing attorneys like a gale-force wind, throwing them back, making them flinch and, in one particularely Crowning Moment of Awesome case, tearing all the hair off a person's head, leaving him mostly bald.
- Mediators in Final Fantasy Tactics usually talk the monster to death or manipulate their stats with speech skills, but they can also equip dictionaries which they read from; reading from them (somehow) hurts enemies.
- This Schlock Mercenary webcomic named this trope.
- The What's New with Phil and Dixie strip in Dragon magazine #72 (April 1983) was about jesters. The middle of this page has a jester killing a monster with bad puns. The next panel shows the danger of unintended side effects.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.