Romantic Hero Worship
A character\\\'s admiration of another character\\\'s prowess develops romantic or sexual overtones
When a character falls in love and/or lust - or at least develops a strong infatuation - based on admiration of another character's glorious deeds or sheer awesomeness. There may be an element of "do you want them or want to be them?", with the admired character serving as a role model as well as lust object. If the Memetic Badass is also a Memetic Sex God, this may be the reason why. Compare Rescue Romance. This is different from simply being attracted to someone who's Badass or extremely competent. If you find Solid Snake sexy because of his character development, his voice acting, or the tight Spy Catsuit but also appreciate his badassery, that is not this trope. If what really attracts you is his Determinator nature and ability to take on Humongous Mecha on foot, and the visible Fetish Fuel is just gravy, that would be this trope.
Examples:Anime and Manga
- Misa from Death Note at first worships Kira, before even meeting him. Then she meets Light, and her admiration only deepens. After getting to know him better, she falls head over heels. Which most certainly has nothing to do with him being young and handsome.
- Bleach: upon first seeing her, Soi Fon was awed by the woman who would later become her sempai: Yoruichi Shihouin. Years later, after becoming Yoruichi's personal bodyguard and protege, Soi Fon's admiration had become hero worship. The point where those feelings changed to "those" feelings is unclear, but there's no denying that Soi Fon has it bad for Yoruichi.
- Kallen in Code Geass becomes pretty heavily infatuated with Zero after becoming his right-hand woman in the rebellion he leads to liberate her people. She is bitterly disappointed to find out his real identity: her classmate, Lelouch.
- Young Lancelot towards King Arthur, in The Once and Future King.
- Eowyn towards Aragorn in The Lord of the Rings.
- Molly Carpenter's crush on Harry Dresden.
- Shakuntala to Rao in Belisarius Series. Perhaps the reverse as well.
- Bellatrix Lestrange in Harry Potter is completely in love with Lord Voldemort. Heavily implied in-series and confirmed Word of J.K. Rowling.
- Major Ocelot towards Big Boss, in Metal Gear Solid 3.
- In Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, Emil's quasi-mancrush on Richter is like this.
- Aht from Radiant Historia already considers Stocke a hero after knowing him for five minutes, and eventually develops a crush on him. Made creepy by the fact that she's nine years old and absurdly powerful.
- Liara and Tali in Mass Effect; both of them start as naive young women (at least for their species' lifespans) who grow more infatuated with Commander Shepard because of his/her accomplishments. In Liara's case, the attraction is almost immediate if you choose to protect her from a krogan abductor and only becomes more blatant after she looks up your history and reads about how awesome you are. In Tali's case, the attraction isn't revealed until Mass Effect 2, where she sarcastically lampshades that there's no possible way a young woman would ever fall in love with a dashing rescuer who then races off to save the galaxy. At one point, you even find an audio log in which Tali tries to solve problems by asking herself "What Would Shepard Do?"
- Melissa in El Goonish Shive seems to have something like this with Noah. It's not shown yet what he did before her eyes, but after that she's enthusiastically confident in her boyfriend's abiity to kick the butt of any size. The Makeover turning the "blonde androgynous interloper" into a dark cloaked hero probably helps, too.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.