Created By: Yora on January 2, 2010
Needs expansion and improvement. Germans come in a wide variety of stereotypes. But no matter if they are savage barbarians in the north, Knight Templars, mad scientists, or Those Wacky Nazis, they are almost always very good at what they are doing, and they are always doing it with stoic calmness. It's almost like a racial Badasstitute. They are usually pictured as either world class engineers or extremely efficient soldiers, though the soldier type has become extremely unpopular within Germany after the end of World War II. If it's ever mentioned that a character is German, he will almost always be an egineer or a soldier. The tall, broad shouldred, German henchman has practically become a staple of spy movies. Though they are somewhat being replaced by Russians since the fall of the Soviet Union. Even though modern Germans absolutely loath any sterotypes that also fit Those Wacky Nazis, this one is usually quite well recieved. Compare with Germanic Depressives. Note that this trope only includes actual Germans, not merely the decendands of german emigrants. Examples: Anime & Manga
- Though no nationalities are mentioned, the rogue General Uranus and his Number Two Colonel Hades in the movie Appleseed are made of this trope.
- Deunans ancestry is a mix of practically everything, but being a major Bad Ass herself, there's obviously some German in it. Though her efficiency is everything but cold.
- In Gladiator, Maximus has to defeat the current Champion of Rome, a German gladiator played by Ralf Moeller.
- James Bond vilains seem to have a special fondness for German henchmen/bodyguards, especially Bloefeld.
- The Headless Horsemen from the movie Sleepy Hollow.
- Hans Gruber and his men in Die Hard.
- Subverted in Hogan's Heroes, where every single German is rediclusly incompetent.
- Though the lands of modern Germany where the one place the Romans could never conquer, they recruited large numbers of german warriors into their armies with some of them even recieving roman education and becoming high ranking generals. Most famously Armenius, who eventually betrayed them.
- Friedrich Wilhelm von Steuben, chief of staff of the continental army in the American Revolutionary War.
- Manfred von Richthofen, the Red Baron. Probably the most famous fighter pilot of all time.
- Wernher von Braun was taken from a captured german rocket research facility and almost instantly transfered into an american rocket research facility.
- German Counter-Terror unit GSG 9 is widely considered to be one of the worlds best.
- When Japan decided to become a modern and industrialized country, they first contracted french advisors and engineers, but soon switched over to German experts.
- You can say what you want about Those Wacky Nazis, but they sure knew how to run their army.
- In the mostly (and rightfully) forgotten space simulation Starlancer, the german Wolverine heavy fighter is the last starfighter that you can unlook and probably the best ship in the entire game.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.