The idea of the achievement system is generally to give awards for reaching particular goals in games. However, the existence of the global achievement score combined with competition between games and the need to encourage further play and exploration has left some games offering trivial "goals" that nonetheless receive achievement points. Examples:
- Persona 4 Arena gives an achievement for booting the game up.
- Street Fighter X Tekken gives an achievement for opening the DLC menu.
- Achievement Unlocked parodies this type of achievement with some of its earlier awards. The player is given separate achievements for loading the game, starting the game, moving left, moving right, moving the mouse, and jumping - amongst other things.
- Assassins Creed Brotherhood has the 'Technical Difficulties' Achievement, which is awarded during the opening cutscenes, before the player is given control of the protagonist(s).
- The Xbox version of Command And Conquer Tiberium Wars gave out an achievement for saying no to the game's "would you like to play the tutorial?" prompt.
- X3: Terran Conflict and its expansion pack X3: Albion Prelude both give achievements for completing the optional "flight school" tutorial.
- Garrys Mod offers one achievement each for starting a single-player game and a multiplayer game.
Hello, Unkown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.
Three days must pass before this YKTTW is Launchworthy or Discardable