This draft seems to have been forgotten.
Magic with the ability to reverse the effects of completed spells. A form of Anti-Magic
to it), this applies to any ability that is used to reverse the effects of another spell that has already worked. If someone has been changed into a frog, a magic spell to change the frog back into a person (presumably the same person) is an example of Undo Magic.
Contrast Counter Spell
, which is a spell that interrupts another spell before completion, thereby stopping it from working. Anti-Magic
ends all ongoing magical effects, while Undo can reverse things that aren't strictly speaking magical any more. Super Trope
to Status Buff Dispel
: anything that dispells a Status Buff
specifically goes there.
Anime & Manga
- In The Wheel of Time, the Magic by Any Other Name is performed by weaving "threads" of the Elemental Powers. The normal way to cancel someone else's weave is to cut it, but a stealthier option is to unweave it. This is very much a Dangerous Forbidden Technique, since if you screw it up, the threads will resettle into a random pattern (such as a thermonuclear explosion.)
- Xanth's Magician Grey Murphy can cancel out any magic, but only one target at a time (and can actually make magic stronger by leaning hard on his null effect, then removing it).
- One episode of Sabrina the Teenage Witch had Sabrina forbidden from using these types of spells (trying to simply "undo" her last spell simply caused a "No can undo" Flag to pop out of her finger) in order to teach her to be more responsible.
- Forgotten Realms spell "Spellstrike". It removes effects of a single spell cast immediately before (previous round). The same sourcebooks has "Unburn", though it reverts ashes made by normal fires as well as magical.
[[folder: Western Animation]]
- The Fairly OddParents uses Timmy's wish to turn back everything that happens in the episode into normal as an In-Universe Reset Button. Sometimes, however, it doesn't work, and they have to find a solution other than his "undo" wish.
- The Simpsons had an episode where Bart was eaten by piranhas. Lisa pressed the rewind button. Bart was uneaten, the Piranhas swam backwards around him vomitting flesh onto his bones.