DAN 004 wuz here takin over ur druft
So you meet this character. He looks slow somehow. Maybe he's so big, maybe he's so heavily armored, maybe he wields a big weapon, maybe his legs are too small
, or he looks sickly and lethargic (or even a zombie), whatever. You'd expect to easily outrun this guy.
But then said so-called "slow" guy suddenly runs really fast!
Bonus points if he specifically goes after you.
Despite the above, this can apply to vehicles or animals as well.
Supertrope to Lightning Bruiser
and Acro Fatic
, as well as Speedy Snail
for animals. Contrast Glacier Waif
, who's slower than they look.
Anime and Manga
Live Action TV
- From A Song of Ice and Fire, Sandor "The Hound" Clegane is one of the largest men in all of Westeros, possibly only short of his older brother Gregor. He is also one of the best swordsmen, if not the best, as Jaime Lannister notes that he is much faster than any man his size has a right to be.
Truth in Television
- Lampshaded in a 2007 episode of Saturday Night Live, when Seth Myers remarks of Barbara Birmingham (Kenan Thompson) being, "Way faster than she looks", after she attemps to assault him in the blink of an eye.
- Hippos and elephants are both much faster than one would suspect from their bulk.
- Many Real Life ships are surprisingly fast, due to the fact that a very big ship can fit a very big engine. HMS Dreadnought, launched in 1906, displaced 20,000 tons, was as long as one and a half football fields, and could make 21 knots under full speed. A heavily armed fortress that could travel 24 miles in an hour. USS Iowa, launched in 1943, displaced 45,000 tons, was as long as two and a half football fields, and could make 33 knots, able to cover nearly 40 miles in an hour. The modern day Nimitz class nuclear carriers weigh in at 100,000 tons, are longer than three football fields, and can make better than 30 knots without ever needing to stop to refuel.
- Many animals, such as penguins, turtles and seals, look very sluggish as they waddle along on land. Once they get in the water they are surprisingly quick by comparison.