Do We Have This One?
Some slippery slimy slinky or stealthy characters move in strange manners. This trope describes a character who is able to move their body like a snake to slither along the ground.
Oftentimes, when a character is trying to remain in stealth mode or trying to stage a sneak attack, he will get down to the ground and slither on his belly to avoid being seen by the enemy. It is often good way to sneak past the guards or to sneak up on the Big Bad
Unlike crawling, it is typically more comical. When done with actors or realistic looking characters, expect them to go into Uncanny Valley
Needs More Examples
Keep these examples to characters who slither, not crawl. If the characters uses his or her elbows, forearms, knees, or feet, then it doesn't count. The character must slither.
Anime and Manga
Film Live Action
- Jubei Jimushi from Basilisk does this thanks to his scale armor. And the fact that he's limbless.
- Servine from Pokémon moves like a snake even though it has limbs...because it is a snake with limbs.
- One Piece. Zeo, a carpet shark fish man, can crawl on the ground like his namesake shark, along with blending in his surroundings like a chameleon.
- Nishijima moves like a snake frequently in Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple. He's a Non-Action Guy and his weird habits have convinced his friends and allies he's actually an alien.
- One of the Co-Dragons in Raging Phoenix is a master of drunken kung fu. At one point in the fight, he gets knocked down and rather than get up, slithers at his opponent like a snake, looking very creepy.
- In the Lon Chaney classic West Of Zanzibar, Chaney plays a paraplegic who sometimes gets about by slithering around on the ground much like a snake. It's an unsettling image that helps characterize Chaney's character, who is executing a cruel Best Served Cold revenge plot.
- Fittingly, Solid Snake can move like this in Metal Gear Solid 4. It is different from his usual crawling animation, and is much slower so as to avoid detection.
- Ganbare Goemon. This is Goemon's crawling animation in the first N64 game.
- In Prince of Persia 2, the Prince has to crawl like a snake to go through the wall passages in the ruins levels (which also have snakes as enemies) and duck under the wall slicers.
- There are a variety of dance moves that are ground-based and resemble the movement of the snake or worm.
Anyone Can Edit; Five hats and we decide to launch.