Regress to Childhood
A form of amnesia where the character mentally reverts to their childhood self.
Exactly What It Says on the Tin. Either by some malfunctioning experiment, bizarre drug, physical damage or sheer Mind Screw, the character becomes a child. This can be played for laughs, as a previously serious and mature character splashes through puddles and chases bugs, but far more often, this is a tragic case where someone just can't take the pressure. This can sometimes be a convenient, bloodless way to revert the Big Bad if they have a Villainous Breakdown. However, this can be reversed, and when it is, you can expect some Amnesiac Dissonance to occur. Not to be confused with Fountain of Youth, which is about literally turning back into a child. Examples contain spoilers:
- Utawarerumono: Kuya, once a young, proud empress, snaps back into adorably depressing toddler years.
- Heroes: Hiro, although no one likes to remember that particular arc.
- Cowboy Bebop: Tongpu, the crazy clown with the experimental weapons.
- Akiha from Tsukihime, in a rare comical example, after downing one of Kohaku's drugs. Moe ensues. (This, of course, comes from one of the spinoff manga. Happy things don't happen in the original.)
- Lucy from Elfen Lied is an odd case seeing as to how 'Nyu' is not entirely a childhood regression, but having to be taught continence and language again certainly apply.
- Air. Again, nothing good comes of this.
- Camille of Gundam Zeta, although this might be considered strait up retardation.
- Caska of Berserk. (Note, I haven't seen this show, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)
- Nancy of Read or Die, due to brain damage.
- Ibuki of Asu no Yoichi!, for an arc.
- Again, feel free to correct me, but Evangelion?
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.