Regress To Childhood
A form of amnesia where the character mentally reverts to their childhood self.
Exactly What It Says on the Tin. Either by some malfunctioning experiment, bizarre drug, physical damage or sheer Mind Screw, the character becomes a child. This can be played for laughs, as a previously serious and mature character splashes through puddles and chases bugs, but far more often, this is a tragic case where someone just can't take the pressure. This can sometimes be a convenient, bloodless way to revert the Big Bad if they have a Villainous Breakdown. However, this can be reversed, and when it is, you can expect some Amnesiac Dissonance to occur. Not to be confused with Fountain of Youth, which is about literally turning back into a child. Warning! Spoilers ahead!
ExamplesAnime and Manga
- Cowboy Bebop: Tongpu, the crazy clown with the experimental weapons. - ZCE
- Lucy from Elfen Lied is an odd case seeing as to how 'Nyu' is not entirely a childhood regression, but having to be taught continence and language again certainly apply.
- Camille of Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam, although this might be considered strait up retardation. - ZCE
- Casca of Berserk regresses to the mentality of a small child after the traumas she suffered at the hands of the demons and the newly-incarnated Femto in particular during the Eclipse. She's also rendered nearly mute.
- Nancy of Read or Die, due to brain damage. - ZCE
- In Samurai Harem: Asu no Yoichi, Ukyou gives Ibuki a potion that regresses her to her 4 year old self, in order to marry her. In this state, she can't remember her youngest sister, who wasn't born yet.
- Air. Again, nothing good comes of this. - ZCE
- Again, feel free to correct me, but Neon Genesis Evangelion? - ZCE
- Heroes: Hiro, although no one likes to remember that particular arc. - ZCE
- Utawarerumono: Kuya, once a young, proud empress, snaps back into adorably depressing toddler years.
- Akiha from Tsukihime, in a rare comical example, after downing one of Kohaku's drugs. Moe ensues. (This, of course, comes from one of the spinoff manga. Happy things don't happen in the original.)
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.