Exactly What It Says on the Tin
. Either by some malfunctioning experiment, bizarre drug, physical damage or sheer Mind Screw
, the character becomes a child. This can be played for laughs, as a previously serious and mature character splashes through puddles and chases bugs, but far more often, this is a tragic case where someone just can't take the pressure. This can sometimes be a convenient, bloodless way to revert the Big Bad
if they have a Villainous Breakdown
. However, this can be reversed, and when it is, you can expect some Amnesiac Dissonance
Not to be confused with Fountain of Youth
, which is about literally turning back into a child.
Examples contain spoilers:
- Utawarerumono: Kuya, once a young, proud empress, snaps back into adorably depressing toddler years.
- Heroes: Hiro, although no one likes to remember that particular arc.
- Cowboy Bebop: Tongpu, the crazy clown with the experimental weapons.
- Akiha from Tsukihime, in a rare comical example, after downing one of Kohaku's drugs. Moe ensues. (This, of course, comes from one of the spinoff manga. Happy things don't happen in the original.)
- Lucy from Elfen Lied is an odd case seeing as to how 'Nyu' is not entirely a childhood regression, but having to be taught continence and language again certainly apply.
- Air. Again, nothing good comes of this.
- Camille of Gundam Zeta, although this might be considered strait up retardation.
- Caska of Berserk. (Note, I haven't seen this show, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)
- Nancy of Read or Die, due to brain damage.
- Ibuki of Asu no Yoichi!, for an arc.
- Again, feel free to correct me, but Evangelion?