A revision of the old YKTTW discussion Body Screen Fill Up
because I wasn't being specific enough and people weren't giving me exact examples in their replies.
A very common Western Animation
trope where people fill the screen with their bodies. After the character walks into the screen, either the show will cut to a different scene, the same setting will be shown afterwards or the camera will cut to black. It happens during chases or when someone has a flashback. And there isn't any Camera Abuse
with it. It can't be that hard to miss.
It's very often used in Nickelodeon
, Toon Disney
, and Cartoon Network
- Pooh's Grand Adventure: twice, with Eeyore, when he's falling after a bridge he was walking on collapses. And again with Tigger where he and Eeyore run into Rabbit.
- Tom and Jerry: The Movie: where Dr. Applecheeks walks towards that ice cream stand with an evil smile. As he fills up the camera, the screen fades to black.
- Tweetys High Flying Adventure: At the end of of the prologue. Sylvester says "Well, first things first" while he is walking towards the camera. And his face fills up the screen making it completely black.
- Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island: with Lena as she is showing Fred to his room
- Scooby-Doo and the Cyber Chase: with the Phantom Virus as he is slowly walking towards Eric, Bill and the professor.
- Scooby-Doo! Legend of the Phantosaur: with Scooby and a ghost elephant during the opening credits when the gang is being chased by ghost animals.
- The Tangerine Bear: where the dog Virgil is chasing Tangie for breaking a vase. He is chasing after him and is running towards the camera and his nose fills up the screen.
- The Lion King: During the song "I Just Can't Wait to be King" where the giraffes are throwing Simba and Nala, Simba's stomach fills up the screen
- Despicable Me short "Banana": at the end where a swarm of minions is chasing one who was eating an apple
- The Blind Side: Near the beginning where Michael is walking and quick flashbacks of his family were shown. Then the scene cuts to him in a conference room with an NCAA investigator.
- Alpha and Omega: With Mooch landing on Humphrey after a sled ride.
- The Jungle Book 2: Twice. Once with Baloo as he is walking inside the temple. "Step aside and I'll show you what a real rug cutter can do". Again with Baloo during the song WILD. Does it after he knocks off Timon & Pumbaa look-alikes.
- Puss in Boots: with Humpty, when he Puss and Kitty first get into the giant's castle. Humpty, being rolled inside, with his gold disguise fills the screen.
- "Digimon, Digimon Everyone" with Takato when Kazu yells for him to hurry up because they're late for class.
- "Boar Wars" where Jeri is chasing after the weird kid in the red hat.
Live Action TV
- The LeBrons does this several times in most episodes. For example:
- "Coach" ends this way when Kid and his friends charge at the bullies to fight them.
- "Misunderstood": Twice. first when Condor runs towards the camera to talk an irritated Kid out, and second when Kid walks away from him angrily after his Berserk Button was pressed.
- Chuck - In "Chuck Versus the Angel de la Muerte," this happens as Captain Awesome walks down the hall, followed by a cut to General Goya's well-guarded hospital room.
- Perry Mason
- "The Case of the Glittering Goldfish" After Rollins ends his phone conversation with Mason, he walks into the camera so that all we see is an extreme closeup of his tie.
- Sonic Heroes: The end of the first scene of the Team Rose story; with Big.
- Mario Party 2: The Pirate Land stage ending movie; with Bowser and the winning character.
- Super Mario Sunshine: The scene where the Pianta Police go to take Mario away.
- ''Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends'': Happens All the Time.
- "House of Bloo's Part 1" at the beginning with Terrence where he chases Mac and Bloo. And again with Eduardo and Bloo when Ed is being chased by Bloo.
- "House of Bloo's Part 2" with Mr. Herriman as he's walking to his office.
- "Dinner is Swerved" when Bloo is chasing a giant chicken leg.
- "Adoptcalypse Now" happens twice in a row when Mac chases Coco
- "Store Wars" with Bloo when he goes up an escalator.
- "Bloooo" when Wilt, Coco, and Ed chasing white Bloo, Ed fills the screen.
- "World Wide Wabbit" with Herriman when he goes to his office looking for a file.
- "Partying is Such Sweet Soiree" when Ed is riding his bike his face fills the screen.
- "Sight For Sore Eyes": happens twice in a row two times with Bloo and Mac. Once when Bloo is goes after some kid mistaking him for Stevie. And again when he charges at a birthday party.
- "Squeakerboxxxx" while Bloo is replacing the new squeak toy with the broken one, Eduardo runs in.
- "The Land of The Flea" Twice. At the beginning when Eduardo is skipping out of his room to the salon. And again when he runs away from monkeys screaming "WHHHHYY?!"
- "The Big Cheese" with Mr. Herriman when he tries to demonstrate the security system. And again with Cheese and Bloo while all the friends are chasing Cheese.
- "A Room With a Feud" while Bloo and the others are chasing Peanut Butter, Mac, looking annoyed, walks into the camera
- "Nightmare On Wilson Way" Three times. When Eduardo hears Frankie come back in the house, he runs screaming her name; then Bloo and Coco follow him. And then Ed, Bloo, and Coco altogether as they run to the foyer.
- ''Rugrats'': Happens All the Time
- "Time of Their Lives" when Angelica makes Tommy get cookies for her. She says, "That's more like it," and Tommy walks towards the camera and his diaper fills up the screen.
- "Potty Training Spike" where the babies are trying to put a diaper on Spike. Phil and Lil are about to grab Spike and Lil jumps into the camera with her dress filling up the screen
- "Stu Gets a Job": with Stu in his pajamas when he goes in the closet finding his clothes
- "Piggy's Pizza Palace' with Tommy when he an the others find a small door and Tommy says goodbye to the animal dolls.
- "Spike Runs Away" when Stu goes to show Tommy and Chuckie his new tarantula, his nose fills the screen
- "Chuckie's Complaint" when Drew and Angelica are about to leave Tommy's house, Drew's nose fills the screen.
- "Runaway Reptar" during the movie when Dactar is attacking, one guy runs towards the camera and his gold belt buckle obscures the screen
- ''Codename: Kids Next Door'':
- "OUTBREAK" A girl jumps towards Numbuh 4
- "MOVIE" an usher taking Numbuh 4 away for sneaking into an R rated movie
- "THE SHOGUN" when one of the cheese ninjas takes away Numbuhs 2 and 4 one of them obscure the camera.
- "BRIEF" when Numbuh 1 first encounters Mr. White, he obscures the screen when he attacks Numbuh 1
- "UTOPIA" before Katie shows Numbuh 1 her home, she obscures the screen with her pink skirt.
- "HUGS" when Rainbow Monkey Kong tries to grab Numbuh 4 inside Sector V, his hand obscures the screen when he finally does.
- "HOUND" when Valerie shows her true form, Numbuh 5's hair fills the screen as she is backing away from her.
- "SAFETY" with some fat kid filling the screen after going up the sky and into the air. And twice in a row with the senator and Numbuh 4 while they and Numbuh 2 travel through an air vent.
- ''The Simpsons'':
- "Lisa's Pony" in a scene where Homer's playing tea party with Lisa and Bart and Milhouse make fun of him. Homer notices them and immediately charges at them. He runs towards the camera and his stomach fills up the screen making it completely white.
- "Girls Just Want to Have Sums" where Nelson is about to beat up the disguised Lisa
- "The Dad Who Knew Too Little" where Homer is about to charge towards some free sample stands
- "Brother's Little Helper" The scene where Bart walks into an army base where soldiers are taking showers. He is walking into the camera with a twitchy look on his face
- "Homer Defined": with Homer about to push a random button to stop an alarm; with his finger.
- ''Sponge Bob Square Pants'':
- "Texas": when Sandy is chasing SpongeBob and Patrick. While carrying a lasso she fills the screen with her foot.
- "Whelk Attack" where Mr. Krabs tries to give Krabby Patties to the whelks. He walks out the Krusty Krab with a plate full of Krabby Patties and walks towards the screen.
- "Bummer Vacation" with SpongeBob accusing Mr. Krabs of replacing him.
- "Squidward, the Unfriendly Ghost": When SpongeBob and Patrick about to clean Squidward's back room.
'''Patrick:''' "Oh, coming!"
- "The Amazing Shrinking Taz and Co." when Taz and the Platypus Bros. are being chased by ants, Taz's eyes fill the screen then cuts to the same setting with the ants.
- ''64 Zoo Lane'':
- During the opening with the polar bear sliding
- The Scooby Doo Show:
- "Vampire Bats and Scaredy Cats": when Scooby thought he thought he caught the vampire, the real one comes out from the wall, and Scooby's nose fills the screen entirely
- With Caillou near the end of the opening theme when he runs to his grandparents
- ''Krypto the Superdog''
- "Dog Gone Kevin" twice with a robber who stole a woman's purse and Krypto in Kevin's body.
- Fairly OddParents:
- "Hairicane" with Timmy's dad as he is walking out of the garage with a ski mask.
- ''Tom and Jerry'':
- "Timid Tabby" when Tom and his cousin disguise themselves with two heads chasing Jerry out.
- ''Tom And Jerry Kids'':
- "Flippin' Fido" with Tom and a guard dog when the dog is first chases Tom along an aisle.
- With Tom during the 2nd opening of the show after he runs through a fence chasing Jerry
- ''Johnny Bravo'':
- "Date with an Antelope" with Johnny, after he freshens up and hearing the doorbell
- "It's Valentine's Day Charlie Brown" with Johnny on his way to the library along with Lil Suzy.
- ''Total Drama World Tour'':
- "I See London" where Noah and Owen are about to fall off the plane with one parachute and Owen falls onto the camera cutting it to black
- Dragon Tales:
- "Not Separated At Birth" with Zak and Wheezie as they're flying around after being back together again then fades to Max and Emmy's room.
- "The Talent Pool" with Ord as he runs over to Max and Emmy to hug them.
- ''The Garfield Show'':
- "The Big Sleep" after Garfield eats something from the fridge, his belly fills the screen and the scenes cuts to him in bed.
- "Penny Henny" after Garfield hears about the twins coming, he walks into the camera carrying suitcases.
- "Pup in the Pound" when Garfield finally tries to look for Odie after being threatened by Jon
- ''Static Shock'':
- "The Usual Suspect", where Marcus attempts to beat up Virgil.
'''Marcus:''' "I'm gonna knock you into a whole new ZIP code."
- "Attack Of The Living Brain Puppets" at the very end where Virgila and Richie pretend to be hypnotized and Virgil's yellow shirt fills the screen
- "The Perfect Brother" with DW during her fantasy of having two Arthurs. At the very beginning
- In the beginning of the episode "DW the Copycat" with DW's dress.
- Occurs twice in "Brain's Shocking Secret". First, Mr. Ratburn takes Brain away before he could get a school picture. Brain sighs and then fills up the screen. Next is when Brain is shocked when the clock reads 9 a.m. and he's running out of bed.
- ''Hey Arnold!'':
- "Wheezin Ed", this happens near the end. Where Harold is rolling and his butt fills up the screen before he runs over everyone.
- "Helga's Makeover" again with Harold; as he and the other boys are about to go to crash Rhonda's party.
- ''The Berenstain Bears'':
- In the theme song in 1985, where a bear in purple overalls walks into the screen.
- And the theme song in 2003, whre Papa Bear is riding a unicycle, but runs into the screen.
- ''Phineas and Ferb'':
- "Summer Belongs to You" with Candace during her verse in the ending song "Summer Belongs to You" where she is running off the stage.
- ''The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius:
- "Grumpy Young Men" with Jimmy when he is quickly dragged to his lab by Carl and Sheen
- "Nightmare in Retroville" with Sheen in his werewolf form, when he leads the other monsters on a rampage through town, his nose obscures the screen.
- "Lights! Camera! Danger!" with Quentin Smithee when he is about to start the next scene the "Save the Day" song.
- "The League of Villans" Where T grabs Jimmy and Sheen in the courtroom; hands fill the screen.
- "Professor Calamitus I Presume" Calamitus in the robot suit attempts to kidnap Goddard
- ''Little Bear'':
- Near the beginning of the intro with Owl, where he flies into the screen.
- ''The Cleveland Show'':
- "Buried Pleasure": Kendra body-slams Jane. She falls onto the screen and it cuts to black.
- ''Justice League Unlimited'':
- The last episode ends with the League members running toward the camera in its final, trope naming "And the Adventure Continues" scene. It notably ends with Batman's logo, causing Batman to provide the Book Ends to the DCAU.
- ''The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh'':
- "Pooh Skies" where Tigger is jumping on a trampoline and falls on Rabbit.
- "A Knight to Remember" with Rabbit after he, Piglet, Tigger and Eeyore quickly run out of a closet and up the stairs Pooh was climbing
- ''Buzz Lightyear of Star Command'':
- "Stress Test" Zurg's face fills the screen when he forces Dr. Animus to give him his pen
- "Opposites Attract" With Buzz, when he wakes up and walks out of his house not realizing his head grew.
- ''The Penguins of Madagascar'':
- "Operation: Plush and Cover" with Rico as he is about to tape up King Julien upside down
- "Misfortune Cookie" near the end with a brown duck landing on Rico
- "Antics on Ice" with Roy the Rhinoceros landing on Skipper
- ''Back at the Barnyard'':
- "The Tale of Two Snottys" where Otis climbs up a ladder and lands on Snotty Boy
- "Pigmalion": at the very end where Pig jumps into to mud. Then the screen fades to black.
- "Robo Peck": very end,
'''Joey:''' Smashy, Smashy, Smashy!
- "Club Otis": Freddy's nose fills the screen
'''Peck:''' "Head trauma!"
'''Pip:''' "That's it come on in."
- Ed, Edd n Eddy:
- "A Twist of Ed" with Marie when she is kissing Edd near the beginning of the episode
- Rocko's Modern Life:
- "Seat to Stardom": when it was Heffer's turn to sit on the "stardom chair"
- ''Fievel's American Tails'':
- "The Case of the Hiccups": where Papa sends Fievel to bed, his arm fills the screen and the scene fades to the school.
- "That's What Friends Are For": near the beginning where Fievel and Tiger are chasing Chula, Both Fievel and Chula's mouths fill the screen then Tiger's stomach.
- "Bell The Cats": one close to the beginning where Tiger is being chased by a dog; done with his purple shirt. And another close to the end where the all the cats were being chased by dogs; one of the dog's ears fill the screen.
- Mr. Bogus
- "Totally Bogus Video" Happens three times. First, when Bogus as a Badass Biker rides towards the screen, his face fills the screen. The second time was when he gets kicked by the ballerina and his mouth fills the screen. The third and final time was when Bogus was being chased by the store owner, with the front of the wind-up getaway car that he rides on filling the screen.
- Leap Frog
- Numbers Ahoy: with the biggest shark of 3; at the end of their song the biggest shark makes a big smile and swims toward the camera it's teeth fill up the screen.
- Heathcliff and the Catillac Cats:
- "Heathcliff Surprise" with Heathcliff as he is angrily walking inside his house to his bed.
- Inspector Gadget:
- "Amusement Park" with Inspector Gadget as he is going up a rollercoaster while he's going after Brain the dog holding a panda doll.
- "Art Heist" with Brain when the security kicked him out of the museum.
- "Bringin' Down the Mouse" twice. With Squeakus when he walking to Waffle about to tie him up. Again when Waffle is attacking Gordon after Squeakus tricks him.
- "Slumber Party" with Mr. Blik when he and his brothers begin looking for Root Beer in the store.
- South Park:
- "Coon 2: Hindsight" with Mysterion; near the ending as he and Coon and Friends run out of Stan's house after watching the news.
- Garfield and Friends:
- "Don't Move": Twice with Odie when he is riding down the sidewalk in a shopping cart. His eyes fill up the screen twice and it then cuts to the next scene each time.
- Timon & Pumbaa:
- "Klondike Con" with Pumbaa as he and Quint charge inside a cave to rescue Timon from a polar bear; happens with Pumbaa's nose.
- "Circus Jerks" with Timon and the very end when he and Pumbaa are blasted out of a cannon out of the circus; happens with Timon's nose
- "Rocky Mountain Lie" with Pumbaa when he's taking a bug in an icicle inside a cabin; again with Pumbaa's nose