A Pig Named Porkchop YKTTW Discussion
|A Pig Named Porkchop|
An animal is named after a type of food from that animal, or other animal products.Needs Examples Description Needs Help Already have?
Alternate names: Food Named Animal Needs More Examples, Needs a Better Description, maybe Needs a Better Name (open for alternate name suggestions) A form of Theme Naming where an animal character is named after, or has a Punny Name based on, a type of food or meat made from that animal, or alternatively a product made from that animal. Might have kind of disturbing implications if you think too hard about it. Subtrope of Theme Naming. Also see Punny Name. Compare Edible Theme Naming, A Dog Named Dog.
Examples:Anime and Manga
- In Silver Spoon, Hachiken got attached to a piglet, which he named Pork Bowl (with suggestions from his friends since the pig will be raised for meat and slaughtered eventually...). He later did the same with a bunch of other piglets (much to his friends' dismay)
- In Excel Saga, Excel names her pet (presumably a dog) emergency ration Menchi, a.k.a. mince meat.
- Peter Porkchops, a pig who was originally a Funny Animal character from DC Comics from the 1940s, who later became the superhero Pig Iron in Captain Carrot and His Amazing Zoo Crew!.
- Lanolin the sheep from U.S. Acres is a sort-of example. She is named after an oil extracted from wool and used for soaps and cosmetics.
- Hamm the piggy bank from Toy Story.
- In Sasami-san@Ganbaranai, Tsurugi names her pet rabbit "Meat".
- Lamb Chop from Lamb Chop's Play-Along.
- Vyvyan from The Young Ones tried to sneak a pig into a TV game show by claiming it was his team's mascot, Bacon Sandwich. (Granted, he also claimed it was a deformed ferret rather than a pig, but he later admitted that part wasn't true.)
- Several characters from Animal Crossing fit this, such as Hambo the pig, Pate the duck, and Takoyaki the octopus. For a non-food example, there's Elmer the horse (as in the glue)
- One of the partners from Paper Mario is a Cheep-Cheep (fish-like creature) named Sushie.
- The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion: In one of the fights in the arena, you fight side-by-side with a wild boar named Porkchop.
- Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout 3 all feature canine characters named 'Dogmeat'.
- X.O. Seal: One of the members of the Livestock Mob is a rotund pig named Pork Round.
- The piglet Chris P. Bacon.
- Farmers sometimes employ this trope to distinguish animals that are to be eaten from ones that are to be kept long-term. This helps ensure their kids don't get too attached to the ones slated for somebody's dinner table.