* Needs More Examples
- Alt Title: Child Marriage
Today, most people consider it an awful thing
. Sadly however, there are still people who consider a daughter to be the property of her father, and believe that he have the right to give her away in marriage to one of his buddies or business partners or whatever. These same people tend to believe that Rape Is Okay If You Are Married
, regardless of the age of the victim. :-(
Once upon a time this was common practice among for example the European nobility. Today the practice is only legal in countries such as Yemen and Saudi Arabia, in which an old man can legally purchase a nine years old girl to be one of his wives, as long as he can agree with her father on a suitable dowry.
of Arranged Marriage
. Note that this trope only covers the marriage itself. If the man has sex with the child "wife" and believe this to be justified based on the marriage, then it's usually also Rape Is Okay If You Are Married
Contrast Wife Husbandry
and Jail Bait Wait
, where the much older guy wants the child but waits until she's old enough.
No individual Real Life
examples please, only organizations and countries that allows this practice.
- The movie Osama ends with the main character, a female child, getting married off to a man old enough to be her grandfather or even her grandfathers father. The scene right before the last scene is on the wedding day, focusing on how terrified the girl is and how much the other wives hate their husband. The very last scene is at night, showing the old man happy and content, performing the holy cleansing ritual that he had earlier in the movie taught a class of young boys that every good man is supposed to do after he has fucked his wife.
- The film Child Bride.
- In The Jewel Of Medina, the Arranged Marriage between the prophet Muhammed (who was in his fifties) and the nine years old girl Aisha is portrayed as the coolest thing ever. The story practically casts her as a young superheroine on team righteous, under the benevolent leadership of her husband. The book subscribes to the theory that they waited a few more years before starting having sex, reducing the squick although not removing it completely.
- Law and Order:SVU had a case along these lines. The marriage was not legally binding, but it was treated as a real marriage by the cultists.
- Blutengels song Black Wedding can be interpreted this way.
- Common practice in the Fundamental Latter Day Saints (FLDS) in Utah in which children (about age 14) are married to old men as part of a harem. Of course the child has NO choice in the matter. Needless to say, for both the polygyny and child marriage, the FLDS is considered a rogue/apostate chapter of the Mormon Church (Mormons disown the sect as radicals). There was a major trial involving this a few years back.
- Yemen and Saudi Arabia, according to Wikipedia. In Yemen, the political landscape have a strong struggle between conservative religious groups on the one hand and secular and moderate religious groups on the other. The child marriage has become one of the big symbol issues, with the first side fighting to keep it and the other fighting to overthrow it. In Saudi Arabia, the conservative regime manages to supress all dissent.
- In one Chick Tract called The Little Bride, the marriage between Aisha and Muhammed is used to condemn Islam, highlighting that she was only 6 when they got engaged and only 9 when they got married. The tract draws the conclusion that Muhammed was a pedophile rapist.