UnfoldingPlanMontage Unfolding Plan Montage YKTTW Discussion
|Unfolding Plan Montage|
The scene cuts between characters devising a plan, and those same characters as they put it into action.Already have? Needs Examples
So the Unspoken Plan Guarantee says that if you explain the plan beforehand, it will fail. But what do you do if you want to show the characters forming a plan that works? One way to circumvent this is to show the plan both in its forming and execution: Rather than have two separate scenes (one to lay out The Plan and one to enact it), the scenes are instead edited together as a montage. For example: We see Alice, Bob, and Charlie as they look over blueprints. Bob explains the plan, and we switch to a voice-over where he explains "and then Alice cuts the power to the building." Meanwhile, Alice flips a switch and the lights go out. Repeated ad nauseam until the plan is complete. A variation will start with an unspoken plan, and the villain will think he has the upper hand, but lo! the heroes have gotten the drop on him! How?! Then the heroes explain their plan while we see them carrying it out in a flashback. May utilize a Split Screen to follow several people executing the plan at the same time.
- Used twice in The A-Team: First in the raid to capture the plates convoy at the beginning, then the "misdirection" assault on Los Angeles Harbor at the end. Both also include A-Team Montages of the team gathering equipment.
- Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey: The main characters face off against the Big Bad, each telling their plans and how they enacted them, resulting in weirdness out-of-flashback as Bill, Ted, and DeNomolos, all have time travel devices.
- Death Becomes Her: Helen outlines a plan to kill Madeline, but subverted when it turns out to be an Imagine Spot.
- Shaun of the Dead: Shaun and Ed devise plan to collect Shaun's friends, mom, and stepdad, and find safety "until this whole thing blows over." Then the plan changes and a revised montage plays accordingly.
- The Matrix Reloaded: Three hovercraft crews band together to take down a power station so that Neo can reach the source.
- Thick as Thieves: Seen when Ripley and Gabriel set up their plan to break into the vault of some Russian jewelers.
- Thor: The Dark World: Seen when Thor, Jane, etc. break Loki out of prison.
- The Three Musketeers (2011): Seen when the titular characters break into the Tower of London.
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine: At the end of "Halloween", Peralta explains to Captain Holt his plan to steal Holt's medal of valor, while in flashback we see the other members of the squad executing the plan.
- Laverne and Shirley: Laverne outlines a plan to break into an office and steal back some important papers. As she explains it, we see the plan in action, which they pull off perfectly. Then it turns out it was just a visual depiction of the plan being described. Once they implement the plan it goes awry and Hilarity Ensues.
- The LEGO Movie: Seen when the master builders break into Lord Business's tower.