Created By: Aminatep on January 23, 2010
Swords are sharp and awesome. Nunchucks are whirly and awesome. What can be more awesome than both? Swordchucks, yo! A swordchuck is a kind of Swiss Army Weapon made of 'exactly two different kinds of weapons, bearing uses of both. Actually, it's Truth in Television: there is a lot of prototypes and real weapons based on this concept. So, swordchucks tend not to overlap with Impossibly Cool Weapons, but there are some hybrids that violate common sense: spear-axe is OK, hammer-bazooka is Rule of Cool.
- 8-Bit Theater is the Trope Namer, swordchucks are sword-nunchucks.
- Final Fantasy VIII, gunblades are sword-revolvers.
- Warhammer 40K: chainswords (chainsaw-swords), chainaxes (chainsaw-axes), chainfists...
- The Adventures of Dr. McNinja - chainsaw-nunchucks.
- Gears of War - the Lancer, chainsaw-machine gun.
- Homestar Runner: Dangeresque's Nunchuck-gun.
- Emergency Exit: Hammerchucks. Exactly What It Says on the Tin.
- Every weapon in Painkiller has a drastically different second firing mode, which makes the seemingly modest five-weapon arsenal much more versatile (it's even possible to combine the primary and secondary firing modes with some weapons). To wit, in Painkiller you have a weedwhacker that fires laser beams, a machine gun that shoots rockets, a grenade launcher that shoots foot-long wooden poles, and of course, a gun that shoots Shurikens and Lightning.
- In Monty Oum's Dead Fantasy II, Rinoa has a Final Fantasy VIII-style gunblade called Vanishing Star. There's a good shot of it here, starting at 12:15.
- Kamen Rider Kabuto has a kunai-gun. His Super Mode had a sword-gun.
- A weird dwarven halberd-hammer hybrid in Crataegus Sanguinea. Justified: after their victory elves forbade using spears, bows and swords, so dwarves made used these "poleaxes" and crossbows.
- Whip Swords.
- From Things Mr. Welch can no longer do in an RPG:
958. No matter how practical, I can't have shotgunchucks.
1012. Note to self: Lightsaberchucks...BAD IDEA
- In Slaughterhouse-Five, one soldier used brass knuckles with a knife sticking out of them.
- Ragnarok Online: swordmace, though it's not too different from any other mace.
Real Life Examples:
- Technically, rifles with bayonets (Blade-on-a-gun).
- Halberds are spearaxes.
- Aforementioned brass-knuckles with blades really exist and are called trench knives.
- Morning star combines the crushing power of the mace with the reach of the flail.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.