- "Go ahead—just try to grab me by the tail!"— Bowser, Super Mario 64
ExamplesAnime and Manga
- In certain chapters in Naruto, most of the zombies reanimated by Kabuto want their former comrades to defeat them so they tell their enemies their abilities and weaknesses mid-combat.
- In the film Unbreakable, someone brags about how much he knows about the building he works in and mentions that if a fire started in a certain part of the building, it would be devastating. He doesn't realize that he's speaking to a plotter who wants to put large numbers of people in danger to see if anyone has super-powers that would allow them to survive.
- In X2: X-Men United, Pyro tells Magneto (his enemy at the time before his Face Heel Turn) how his powers work, that they require a flame source to work.
- The Bible. Delilah getting Samson to tell her the secret of his strength is one of the earliest examples.
- Super Mario 64
- During the first fight with Bowser, Bowser dares you to try to grab him by the tail and boasts that "You'll never be able to swing me around! A wimp like you won't throw me out of here!" The tail is the only vulnerable part of his body; grabbing it will immobilize him. The only way to beat him is by swinging him by the tail and throwing him out from the platform you fight him on and onto a bomb.
- In the DS version, he's even more explicit: "Go ahead—just try to grab me by the tail! You'll never be able to swing ME around! A wimp like you could never throw me out by circling the touch screen. Never!"
- In Knights of the Old Republic, a being who wants to engage you in a riddle match mentions that he was never very good with numbers. When picking which riddle to tell him, one of the ones that can foil him is one that appears to require adding and multiplying numbers. He panics as he tries to make the mental computations and gives up. Ironically, the riddle doesn't actually require any math in order to solve it.
- In Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations, Godot reveals that his vision is "pretty messed up." This later becomes important when Phoenix shows evidence that a crime scene was manipulated by someone with flawed vision.
- Freakazoid! One episode had Freakazoid going up against the villain Armando Guitierrez.
Guitierrez: So... graphite bars charged with negative ions. That is your weakness, eh?Freakazoid: That, or poo gas.Guitierrez: You know, it's a funny thing. Nobody likes poo gas, my friend. Blagh!
- He stupidly tells Guitierrez how to beat him.
- He also helps Guitierrez build a cage for himself, then is surprised when he's caught in it.
- Played With in Justice League Unlimited. Galatea informs Supergirl that boredom is her Kryptonite. Then she corrects herself, pointing out that Kryptonite is her Kryptonite, but that's not the point she was getting at. Justified, in this case, because Galatea is a clone of Supergirl, and thus Supergirl already knows her strengths and weaknesses.
- Family Guy in the episode where Peter steals the Popemobile. The guy guarding it tells Peter that "even the slightest Tap On The Head knocks me out. I always wake up feeling fine afterwards, but it's just so darned inconvenient." The fellow then demonstrates this by lightly touching his head and knocks himself out, allowing Peter to steal the car.
- Dean's hallucination in an episode of Venture Bros.
Insect King: No! Not the ring of power! It's the only thing that can steal my black heart.
Dean Venture: Eat it!
[Dean begins randomly stabbing the Insect King]
Insect King: Ow-eeee that fucking hurts! Ow! Right down to the thorax, Dick! But it missed my Black heart.
Dean Venture: Die!
[Dean severes the Insect King's arm and leg]
Insect King: Ow, dude stop already, you're not even aiming for my black heart!
Dean Venture: I vanquish you!
Insect King: Come on, those are reproductive organs! Will you take the fucking hint and stab me in the heart already?!
Dean Venture: I got it! Your evil black heart is where your power comes from!
Insect King (feigning chagrin): Oh no, you have learned my terrible secret!
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.