Everyone knows that living things can be exchanged for other goods or currency, but sometimes they are traded so regularly they can be (and sometimes are) considered currency themselves. In this case if something is sufficiently close to alive counts too, for example a completely autonomous Clockwork Creature
. Also see Weird Currency
and Practical Currency
- In Bone, residents of the valley use things like livestock as currency.
- Discworld. In the villages of Lancre, where hard currency is a rarity, commerce is more likely to be negotiated in chickens than in coins.
- In Gordon R. Dickson's Childe Cycle, the interstellar currency is largely based on skilled professionals. If a planet needs someone or something, they hire out a specialist in exchange.
- The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy series. Elderly relatives are used as currency.
- In B.C. the cavemen use live clams as currency.