Just like a person has a name (sometimes more), most groups also have a name. This name may come from different sources, such as the founder's own name, an acronym of the members' names, a random thing you just happen to see, or a random cool-sounding foreign word. One popular method is to name the team after the number of members. We can expect that the Furious Five will have five members, and the Three Templars to have three members. After all, it's outright said in the name, right? Not always. These groups often have one extra member in them. The reason why this one member is excluded from the team naming varies. It might be because they're supposed to be a secret member nobody is supposed to know, or that their task is different than the other members, or it's just for the lulz, and many other reasons. Or they're another member's twin. A Sub-Trope to Non-Indicative Name. May overlap with Sixth Ranger if the Five-Man Band is named after the number of members. If applied to elements, see Element Number Five.
Examples:Anime and Manga
- Witches 5 in the third season of Sailor Moon actually has six members. However, Cyprine and Ptilol are really the same person manifesting in two different bodies, so it's justified.
- Played for Laughs in Cromartie High School. The Four Great Ones are the supreme rulers of the second years, but they have a big problem that troubles them all: there are five of them.
- In Naruto the "Sound Five" actually counts Sakon and Ukon as one person, instead of making it the Sound Six.
- Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo has the Battleship Five Quartet. It has six members.
- One of the villainous guilds in Fairy Tail is the Oracion Seis (six prayers), made up of six very powerful mages. There is also the seventh member, Klodoa, who is Brain's talking staff. Also depending on how you see it, Brain's Superpowered Even More Evil Side Zero may count as the eighth member.
- The original Seven Soldiers were Green Arrow and Speedy, Star-Spangled Kid and Stripesy, Vigilante, Shining Knight, and the Crimson Avenger and Wing. Wing, the Avenger's sidekick/chauffeur, was the "unofficial eighth soldier", even though there were two sidekicks as full members. When Green Arrow was removed from the line-up Post-Crisis, and replaced with the sidekickless Alias the Spider, Vigilante's sidekick Stuff, the Chinatown Kid was added, so Wing was still the unofficial eighth soldier.
- The Three Stooges -- there were actually 6 of them, though only 3 in any given short. (Larry, Moe, Curly, Shemp, Curly Joe, and Joe)
- There are actually four musketeers in The Three Musketeers: d'Artagnan becomes one pretty early in the story, albeit assigned to a company different from the other three.
- On The Late Show with David Letterman's "Small Town News" segment, one of Dave's self-described favorite categories of news is things like "Classical Trio performs" with a picture of 4-6 members.
- Blake's 7 never had more than six human members. You had to include one or more of their sentient computers to bring the group up to seven.
- The Grammy-Award-winning Girl Group Salt-n-Pepa consisted of Salt, Pepa, and DJ Spindarella - who I guess was the 'n'?
- Similarly, Run-D.M.C. constisted of Run, DMC, and Jam Master Jay.
- The band "The 4 of Us" has had five members at some points in its history.
- Inverted by Ben Folds Five, a group with 3 members.
- The Thompson Twins, a British New Wave pop band, had three members at the height of their success, and as many as seven in some years.
- The Four Gods in Chinese Mythology actually has five divine beasts. The fifth one is Huang Long, the Yellow Dragon that governs the element of Earth and the direction of center. He's absent in the Japanese version, where the center is associated with void instead.
- When the Big Ten Conference of the NCAA added Penn State as a member in the 1990s, they became a group of 11 schools rather than 10. The University of Nebraska became their 12th member more recently--but they are still called the Big Ten.
- And the Big 12 Conference currently has... 10 member schools.
- Averted by the Pac-10 Conference, when it renamed itself the Pac-12 Conference very shortly after the additions of the University of Colorado and the University of Utah in 2010.
- Professional Wrestling: The Four Horsemen had anywhere from four to six members. "Classic" Horsemen was Ric Flair, Tully Blanchard, two members of the Anderson Wrestling Family, and JJ Dillon. Lex Luger was brought on for a little while, and after he left Flair had "Woman" as his valet. Towards the end Jeff Jarrett was brought on as an "associate Horseman" and was briefly given full Horseman status.
- Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days introduces Xion, the fourteenth member of Organization XIII. She isn't actually a member. She's not even a Nobody, just a manifestation of Sora's memories. By the end of the game, she was Ret Gone'd from everyone's memories.
- The Septentriones (septem = seven) in Devil Survivor 2. There are eight of them. The eight one, Alcor, is the only one not presented as a mindless abomination. He is the true identity of the Anguished One. He is the one that created Nicaea so that humanity can fight their fate of being erased from existence. In one of the routes, he even become a party member.
- In EarthBound, the Runaway Five apparently consists of six members onstage, though there are only five of them when you speak with them backstage. Averted in the original Japanese, where they were the non-numerical Tonzura Brothers.
- The Hive Five in Teen Titans have six members. Lampshaded by Kid Flash.
- A Popeye cartoon "Jeopardy Sheriff" in which Popeye starts to read Swee'Pee the story of the Three Bears: Moe, Sam, Lefty, and George. Also referred to as "The three bears of which there were four".
- The Atlantic 10 conference has an ever-changing number of teams greater than ten.
- The Pleiades Star Cluster are named after the seven Pleiades sisters from Classical Mythology. However, there are actually nine bright stars in the cluster (the other two are named after their parents, Atlas and Plione). What's more, the star Sterope is actually two close stars sharing the same name. Finally, a look through even a low-power telescope shows way more than 7 stars.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.
Three days must pass before this YKTTW is Launchworthy or Discardable