MagicMissileStorm Magic Missile Storm YKTTW Discussion
|Magic Missile Storm|
subtrope of Spam Attack - character unleashes a barrage of magical projectiles that swarm the enemyNeeds Examples Better Name Needs Examples
Squishy Wizards enjoy Spam Attacks too. For many spellcasters, their version is likely to be manifested in a Magic Missile Storm. This sends a swarm of magical projectiles firing at the opponent, likely but not always in the form of glowing energy orbs or pointed arrow-like shapes. They may spread out and weave and turn through the air before converging, and are likely to leave colored trails in the air as they move. Compare Beam Spam, Roboteching and Macross Missile Massacre, as an example could be this trope and one of them as well. Not to be confused with Magic Missile.
- Slayers, the spells Burst Rondo (weak) and Rune Flare (strong) do this.
- Kamen Rider Den-O has the Boistous Shot, Climax Form's Gun Form-based 'Charge And Up' finisher is this.
- Dungeons & Dragons: Magic missile and assorted stronger spells bearing the name "Missile Storm" in some manner are the Trope Namers, and are often depicted as this trope in video games.
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Ganondorf does this as a Desperation Attack.
- Final Fantasy, the recurring spells Matra Magic and Holy are sometimes depicted in this manner.
- Final Fantasy IX, Alexander's Divine Judgment is depicted in this manner. Kuja's Ultima combines this trope with Death from Above.
- Final Fantasy XII, Ashe's Heaven's Wrath and Penelo's Evanescence and Intercession.
- Final Fantasy XIII, Alexander returns with this, as the summon for Hope, the game's resident Squishy Wizard.
- Dissidia: Final Fantasy, this is Ultimecia's entire fighting style, particularly with Knight's Blade and Knight's Arrow. The Cloud of Darkness does this for some of her attacks which are otherwise Frickin' Laser Beams. For single attacks, there's Zidane's Scoop Art and Solution IX, Garland's Blaze, Squall's Fire Barret, and Yuna's charged Impulse. Holy and Ultima used by various characters are also present.
- Kingdom Hearts II, Sora's Wisdom Form shoots out flurries of homing magic shots from his Keyblade. Xemnas shoots his Etheral Blades as projectiles, sometimes from his hand and sometimes creating a line of them in the air that fire at once.
- Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep, there are generally three types of Shotlocks -- fire several projectiles in waves, fire a barrage continuously, or perform dash attacks. Many of the former two categories fit this trope.
- In Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance, Young Xehanort can fire projectiles in this manner.
- Golden Sun has several summons that take this form: Mercury hits the enemy with blasts of water, Atalanta with hundreds of magic arrows, and Boreas with huge chunks of ice.
- Dawn of War: the Chaos Sorcerer's Doombolt
- Page image provided by Isaac's lesser missile storm in Neverwinter Nights 2. The spell and its higher-level form Isaac's greater missile storm were developed by BioWare for the Neverwinter Nights series. The games also make the spell flame arrow into one of these, whereas the pen-and-paper version is actually an enchantment to be applied to projectiles.
- In Dust: An Elysian Tail, it's possible to do this by having Fidget fire a couple of magic projectiles, then use Dust Storm to give them more energy and home in on every enemy on the screen.