DiscardedYKTTW Power Blonde YKTTW Discussion
Not all blondes are innocent, dumb, or evil; some are just kickass.Needs Examples Description Needs Help Better Name Tropeworthy? Tropeworthy? Motion To Discard Motion To Discard Motion To Discard
Needs a Better Title Some blondes need all ten fingers to count to one. Other blondes want to destroy the world. There are even some blondes with hearts of gold. This trope breaks those molds with a blonde who is intelligent without being either evil or overly pure. Characters that fit into this trope are often strong, assertive, and powerful blondes. They could be an Action Girl or guy, an authority figure, or a character who knows how work a situation through intelligence. They typically fit into three types, with some leeway and overlap. Type I: There's the usually male "Aryan ideal" Power Blonde, who is physically strong and skilled in battle. He's usually a born leader by virtue of his confidence and energy. Type II: Then there's the Always Female type that started as a subversion of the Dumb Blonde, or of "that hapless blonde chick who always gets killed in horror movies." The attractiveness and confidence of Everyone Loves Blondes is often part of her power, but it doesn't stop there: she's courageous and always ready to kick butt. Type III: There's also the blonde power player who is skilled at political maneuvering or working within a system or organization. If female, this could be an Iron Lady leader with Power Hair to be blonde or not. Power Blondes of all these three types are natural leaders: bold, outspoken, and strong-willed, but (usually) not as hot-headed as the Fiery Redhead.
Examples:Anime and Manga
- Dragon Ball Z: All Saiyans gets stronger when they turn Super Saiyan. This makes them blonde....for some reason.
- King Canute in Vinland Saga starts out as a blonde Shrinking Violet (most people, including the readers, mistake him for a girl). After a few years he has a beard, runs his country and murders opponents like nobody's business.
- Thor: The title character is an Action Hero with smarts despite his Fish out of Water moments.
- Steve Rogers from Captain America: The First Avenger becomes a bold and assertive leader during WWII, taking part in both the planning and the physical attacks.
- Tracy Flick in Election is a straight-A overachiever with ambitions for becoming Student Council President in high school and moving into politics as a career.
- Disney's Pocahontas has John Smith who was adapted as a "tall blond Adonis." He acted as a bold explorer who the other British voyagers look up to.
- A Song of Ice and Fire: Daenerys begins as a frightened and abused teenager and becomes a powerful leader.
- Rachel in Animorphs only appears to be a Dumb Blonde mallrat (to quote Marco, after she removed your kidney you'd realize your mistake). She is actually The Berserker and The Big Guy of the Animorphs, but does genuinely love shopping. In one story where she undergoes Literal Split Personality, the psycho personality is aggressive and incapable of planning ahead, whereas the cowardly personality plans shopping trips like a general planning an invasion.
- Galadriel from Tolkien's books. Young Galadriel in The Silmarillion was quite Bad Ass. Old Galadriel in Lord of the Rings was one of the most powerful beings in Middle-Earth.
- The fighter pilot Starbuck from the Battlestar Galactica reimagining was a no-nonsense, resourceful, tough and intelligent young woman who happened to be blonde. Although in one episode someone speculated that she wasn't a real blonde.
- Talia Winters from Babylon 5 was fairly composed and professional most of the time in her role as station telepath. She also stood pretty firmly by her ethical principles related to the job, even standing up to Sheridan when he wanted her to breach them in one instance.
- The Borgias: While Lucrezia begins as a Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold heroine, she develops into one of the more manipulative and influential characters purely through charisma and intelligence.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- The Closer: Deputy Chief Brenda Leigh Johnson is an abrasive, intelligent, and calculating blonde who gets the job done.
- Once Upon a Time: Like father, like daughter, Emma and her dad, Charming/David, are heroic and baddass leaders.
- Detective Lilly Rush of the TV series Cold Case would also qualify, being the lead detective in tracking down murderers in reopened "cold cases".
- Stargate SG-1's Lieutenant Colonel Samantha Carter, a certified genius who is the source of much technobabble and phlebotinum, as well as being an Action Girl more than capable of holding her own with her male teammates and, of course, once blew up a sun.
- The Vampire Diaries: Like her mother, Liz, teenage Caroline Forbes is strong, intelligent, and a leader by nature. While Liz is the sheriff and a member of the town council, Caroline is an overachiever who often leads committees and organizations in school and the community.