Up for Grabs, Needs a Better Description, Needs More Examples, Needs a Better Title, Needs an Index. Alt Title: Super Nova. Ah, a good old Earth-Shattering Kaboom. There's nothing more visually impressive than seeing a planet being torn apart at the seems in what's guaranteed to be the largest explosion on this side of fiction. Or Is It? Enter the Supernova. When a Earth-Shattering Kaboom just isn't big enough, you need to scale things up and have a star hit the dust. Writers often take this Up to Eleven, with multiple stars, the galaxy, or even every star in the entire universe being destroyed in a suitably awesome way. If it happens gradually over time, it may lead to The Stars Are Going Out. A Supernova qualifies as a Class x-2 on Apocalypse How scale, although it can go up if more stars are destroyed. Has nothing to do with Remember When You Blew Up The Sun, although the Trope Namer provides an example. Please note, a star doesn't have to be destroyed by way of an actual supernova, though they usually are. Very much Truth in Television, although artificially destroying them is a bit out of the question.
- The 2009 Star Trek movie has an explosion of a star that, somehow, menaces to destroy an entire galaxy and is the indirect cause of all the events.
- The titular weapon in Christopher Rowley's Starhammer is just that. You aim it at a star, and when you fire it, it makes the star go nova.
- Samuel R Delany's novel Nova (duh). If you get close enough to an exploding star you can net yourself some illyrium, the rarest and most valuable substance in the universe. Just try not to get too close, and watch out for rival illyrium prospectors.
- In the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "Half a Life", scientists on the planet Kelon 2 are working to revitalize their sun, which is dying and will explode in a few years.
- The Q weapons (seen during the Q civil war in Star Trek: Voyager) cause supernovas when fired.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.
Three days must pass before this YKTTW is Launchworthy or Discardable