Reversal Of Doubt YKTTW Discussion
|Reversal Of Doubt|
This isn't going to work... Hey, it worked! I knew it would work!Needs Examples
I never doubted you for a second! Wonderful!Related to Hypocritical Humor. A character expresses doubts about another character's ability at doing something that sounds bold and/or insane. But when it works out well, the doubter suddenly changes their tune to say they knew it was going to work. Compare Glad I Thought of It, I Meant to Do That. and Favoritism Flip Flop. Probably Needs a Better Title.
— C-3PO, The Empire Strikes Back'''
- Star Wars
- In A New Hope, before they rescue Princess Leia, Han says to Luke "This is not going to work...". After they get away, Han says to Leia "Not a bad bit of rescuing, huh? You know, sometimes, I amaze even myself.".
- In The Empire Strikes Back, as R2 is trying to open the door to get to the Millenium Falcon and Threepio, as usual, is bickering with him. As R2 successfully opens the door, Threepio says "I never doubted you for a second! Wonderful!"
- In Return of the Jedi, Han insists that their code will allow them to get to the forest moon safely. When the clearance is not forthcoming, he changes his mind, saying "They're not going for it, Chewie". Then, when they are cleared, he says "Okay! I told you it was going to work! No problem.."
- In Apollo 13, the crew has to make a course correction to rectify their entry angle with the Lunar Module, which was never made to fly in open space. The Grumann representative tries to tell Gene Kranz the unlikelihood of this working, but Kranz tells him "If it lights, it lights. Let Lovell take care of the rest.". After a successful burn, the rep leaps out of his seat, saying "Knew it! I knew it! How that LM, huh? How about it?".
- Captain Underpants and the Big, Bad Battle of the Bionic Booger Boy. Mr. Sneedly first mocks George and Harold's suggestion of de-fusing his son from his robot and booger body by turning around the batteries in the Combine-o-Tron 2000. When he tries it just to show it wouldn't work, it works marvelously, causing him to spout, "What do you know? My plan worked!"
- In the Father Ted episode "Chirpy Burpy Cheap Sheep", Dougal tells Ted that the situation is hopeless and there's nothing they can do. After Ted comes up with an idea, Dougal insists that he knew that they'd come up with something. Ted called him on it and Dougal goes to the tape recording that he had made to prove he is right. Then he apologizes, when the tape shows he's not.