Similar to Technically Living Zombie
, Technically Living Vampire
is when a writer wants to have vampires without including the supernatural. Typically living vampires lack most of the traditional weaknesses of vampires, but their invulnerability is reduced to a simple Healing Factor
making them easier to kill. It's also not uncommon for them to be simply Long Lived
rather than immortal.
Anime & Manga
- Chiropterans in Blood+ are mostly humans infected with a "d-base" extracted from the blood of a queen. Chevaliers are humans fed blood from a queen. While the queens are the biological offspring of a queen and a chevalier, born as twins.
- Methuselahs of Trinity Blood have a bacterium that feeds on red blood cells in their bloodstream. They typically live for 300 years and most are born with the bacteria, which kicks in sometime in their teens or twenties.
- Morbius was a vampire-esque superhuman designed to get around the Comics Code Authority's rules at the time.
- The Saga of Darren Shan, they just age at a tenth normal human rate, half-vampires a fifth. Though when Darren was turned he faked his death so he could leave without drawing suspicion.
- The original I Am Legend described the infected as vampires.