See The Invisible YKTTW Discussion
|See The Invisible|
Row Row Fight the Powa! Do We Have This One?? There's all sorts of ways to see someone or something with Invisibility.
- Getting something all over the invisible target
- Looking for footprints/tracks or shadows
- Infrared Xray Camera
- Super Senses or Psychic Powers
- Affecting the target's invisibility
Examples:Anime and Manga
- In Dragon Ball, Yamcha defeated the Invisible Man after the Turtle Hermit (AKA Master Roshi) had a nosebleed that spilled all over the Invisible Man.
- In The Incredibles, one Mook finds an invisible Violet by throwing dust and watching for the cloud to be disrupted by a body.
- In the Predator movies, the title creature's invisibility device shorted out when immersed in water.
- Skinner from the film version of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen wears white makeup so people can see his face. And clothes, of course.
- Fairy Tales and other magical lore indicate that a seeing stone also allows one to see things that have magicked themselves invisible.
- In the Harry Potter series, we've been shown several ways in which Invisibility Cloaks can be thwarted. The ability of dementors to sense people is not impaired by invisibility cloaks. Moody's magical eye can see through invisibility cloaks. A person wearing an invisibility cloak still shows up on the Marauder's Map. Mrs. Norris may or may not be able to see through invisibility cloaks. There are also some mundane constraints, such as the fact that the wearer remains solid, remains capable of making noise, etc.
- The wizards' Sight in The Dresden Files series can, among other things, pierce any kinds of veils and invisibility tricks. The downside of it is that not only does it show you that something is there, it shows you its true form, which is the last thing you want to see with the most supernatural heavy-hitters. Plus, there is a small fact that you can never ever forget anything you've seen with your Sight.
- Dungeons & Dragons.
- Early articles advised spreading dust/flour on the floor (to see footprints) or throwing flour/dust/water in the air (so it coats the opponent and reveals an outline).
- Certain spells can be used this way, such as True Seeing and True Sight.
- Dust of Appearance makes anything invisible it's sprinkled on become visible.
- Star Fleet Battles. It's possible to see cloaked Romulan ships with the "flash cube" effect (detonating a transporter bomb or mine).
- Call of Cthulhu
- Supplement Shadows of Yog-Sothoth, adventure "Devil's Canyon". A race of invisible monsters can be seen if looked at through camera lenses prepared using Cthulhu Mythos knowledge.
- When the Powder of Ibn Ghazi is sprinkled on invisible monsters it makes them visible.
- BIONICLE: in the Mata Nui Online Game, a Muaka manages to snatch Kopaka, who was using the mask of invisibility, in its jaws after determining where he was by looking at his footprints in the snow.
- In Eternal Darkness, there's a level where you must (well if you want some goodies including a BFG anyway) protect the player character's servants from an invisible monster. You can make this a lot easier by using the "reveal invisible" spell.
- Jonny Quest once had this invisible monster which was created by some Applied Phlebotinum and proceeded to go on a rampage. The kids managed to dump a bunch of paint over it, which not only had the effect of making it visible, but also made it look much less terrifying.