Blasphemous Praise YKTTW Discussion
Someone or something is praised in a way that could be seen as sacrilegious.Better Name
Wat: And your love? Have you proven that yet?
William: Wat, you remember church as a boy. The fear, the passion. That's what she makes me feel. And for that, I say my rosary to Jocelyn and no one else.
Wat: William, that's blasphemous.
William: Then may I burn in hell.Unlike the Blasphemous Boast, in which one claims oneself to be above a given deity, this is for praising someone else (or a group of other people) as above a given deity. How to react can sometimes be a dilemma, especially to devoutly religious characters who believe in the deity in question. See also Like a God to Me, which can be blasphemous, depending on the particular context. (And the religion.)
- Greek Mythology: Cassiopeia comparing the beauty of her daughter Andromeda to that of various goddesses ticks the gods off.
- Based on the above, the 1981 film Clash of the Titans has Queen Cassiopeia of the city of Joppa saying that her daughter Princess Andromeda is more lovely than the goddess Thetis. Thetis is not pleased by this and orders that Andromeda be sacrificed to the Kraken. If they don't, the Kraken will destroy Joppa.
- Also, Arachne recieves this in her own story. When she claimed that her weaving could challenge the gods, Athena decides to come down and put that to the test. They both weave tapestries, and (in at least one version) when they have the people vote, they chose Arachne's tapestry. This is what doomed her.
- In Till We Have Faces, C. S. Lewis's retelling of the tale of Cupid and Psyche, the narrator's younger sister Princess Istra gets in big trouble by allowing people to proclaim her a goddess.
- In A Knight's Tale, Will declares that he will say rosaries to Jocelyn and no one else.
- Real Life/Music: Eric Clapton became known in part for some London Urban Grafitti saying "Clapton is God."
- In Professional Wrestling some people started bringing signs saying "Foley is God." He expressed his preference for them not to do that so the signs changed to "Foley is Good," which became the title of his second memoir.
- In The Bible, one of the Herods is struck dead for accepting such praise.
- WWE billing Triple H as "King of Kings," seeing as how it is a title normally given to Jesus.
- The Distressed Watcher once said "I'm an atheist, but if I was going to worship a god, it would be Pixar."
- Lampshaded in El Goonish Shive.
Tedd: God.Grace: Really?Tedd: No. That was blasphemy.