I thought this was Two First Names
, but that turns out to be something else entirely (that is to say, when a character's last name is a common given name).
Essentially, this is when a character has a given name that is made up of two names stuck together or hyphenated. Relatively common for characters from the Deep South
. Not to be confused with someone who has a middle
name; Mary Sue
is never addressed as just Mary. This is, of course, Truth in Television
to a degree, particularly the Deep South
and much of the Flyover Country
. Expect this to be particularly common with characters who live Down on the Farm
- Kathy Sue Loudermilk, from Lewis Grizzard's stories about the U.S. state of Georgia.
- The characters in "Take The Money And Run" by Steve Miller are "Billy Joe" and "Bobby Sue".
- The girl in Lynyrd Skynyrd's Gimme Three Steps is named Linda Lu.
- Plankton's relatives from Spongebob Squarepants are all hillbillies and some of their names are some variation of Billy Bob.
- The actor Billy Bob Thornton, born in Arkansas.