Real Men Get Shot YKTTW Discussion
|Real Men Get Shot|
Alternate title: Real Men Get Stabbed
"Bones heal, chicks dig scars, pain is temporary, glory is forever."
--Evel KnievelNormally, getting hurt isn't a very glorious thing. After all, if you were really that cool nothing could touch you, right? Well, sometimes getting hurt is cool, and serves to prove just how Badass a character really is. How someone deals with injury can give insight into the character, and show that their awesomeness incarnate is not just a facade. Executed well, this can also provide a dose of realism into an otherwise unbelievable character. Or, it can simply exist to show just how much punishment the character can take or is willing to take. May come paired with Major Injury Underreaction, but just as often the character is in quite apparent pain. To qualify for this trope a character must actually be injured or killed. Shrugging off damage physically may be Made of Iron or Nigh-Invulnerability. Despite the name, this trope is not limited to males or bullet wounds. Compare: Manly Tears?, I Can Still Fight Examples Anime
- Whenever Spike gets shot or falls from a great height in Cowboy Bebop, which is a lot.
- Every injury every sustained by John McClane. Ever.
- Patrick Swayze's character from Road House.
- Boromir in The Fellowship of the Ring. He gets shot in the chest three times... and keeps fighting until he dies.
- Indiana Jones. The man is pretty regularly rode hard and put away wet, yet as the old commercials used to say, he takes a licking and keeps on ticking.
- The Red Badge Of Courage gets its name from the idea that being shot is proof of manhood.
- Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake gets shot, beaten, thrown off a cliff, breaks bones, hell, there's an entire game mechanic revolving around removing foreign objects from your flesh and not bleeding to death. All it does is reaffirm just how tough as nails this guy is.
- Certainly hinted at in Aliens Vs Predator 2 with General Rykov.
- During his inauguration speech, Theodore Roosevelt was the victim of an assassination attempt; he was shot in the chest, and survived due to the bullet hitting the eyeglass case and folded speech in his breast pocket. Reaction? He wasn't spitting blood, so he stayed on the podium and finished his speech before going to the hospital. Bad Ass.
- The Purple Heart award is a patriotic incarnation of this.