Multi Episode Game YKTTW Discussion
|Multi Episode Game|
A videogame with a single plot is split over several episodes, typically with each to be bought separately.
Most videogames, especially nowadays, are pretty much fully-contained, and if they have a story to them, the story starts at the beginning and ends at the end. However, especially back in the era of DOS games, a number of games were released in several installments, which were basically like chapters or plot arcs that are part of an overarching plot. This practice was frequently used with shareware games: the first installment would be released freely, and would contain instructions for ordering and paying for the rest of the installments. Apogee Software was one company well-known for publishing games in this way.
- The Commander Keen series
- "Invasion of the Vorticons" episodes 1-3: The first was free and asked you to order the rest.
- "Goodbye Galaxy!" episodes 4-5: Again, the first was free and asked you to order the other.
- Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, in three installments
- Dark Ages
- Duke Nukem: The first three episodes were released like this.
- Hocus Pocus: Episode 1, "Time Tripping", was released for free, with ordering instructions for Episodes 2 through 4.
- Monster Bash
- Secret Agent Man