Rabbit Hole Format Shift
After going DownTheRabbitHole the film will be using the most up to date format
Once Alice lived a normal life. Then she fell Down the Rabbit Hole and entered an Alternate Reality where the rules are different on some sort of Hero's Journey. And whats the best way to let the audience know just how wonderful this magical new world is? Present it in the most wonderful video format money can buy. If the real world was black and white, this world will be color. If the real world was in color, this world will be in HD. If the real world was in HD, this world will be in 3D etc. More generally, even if there haven't been any recent technological shifts to take advantage of, the Wonderland on the other side of the Rabbit Hole will be in a different format. You could see live action vs. animation, or 3d vs 2d animation, or color vs. black and white purely for stylistic reasons, not to show off the advancement in technology.
ExamplesCelebrating new technology:
- Alice in Wonderland: The real world is in high definition, Underland is in 3D.
- Brother Bear: After Kenai turns into a bear, the film changes to a wider screen format and the color is more saturated.
- TRON: Legacy: The Real world is in high definition, The Grid is in 3D
- The Wizard of Oz: The real world is in Black and White, Oz is in Color
- In Enchanted, the fairytale in in 2D animation, while the real world is live action.
- James and the Giant Peach shifts from live-action to stop-motion when James crawls inside the Giant peach.
- The LEGO Movie: The majority of the film, which takes place in the LEGO world, is in photo-realistic CGI mimicking stop-motion. After Emmet falls down a black hole and exits the universe, he lands in the real world, which is filmed in live-action.
- The Pagemaster is about a boy being plucked out of his live-action world and brought into the animated world of literature
- The Phantom Tollbooth goes from live-action to high quality animation once Milo goes through the tollbooth.
- Pleasantville: Inversion, the real world is in color, Pleasantville is in Black and White, though this may be because its also supposed to be in 'the past.'
- The Secret Garden changes from black and white to color after opening the titular garden.
- The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror VI: Homer find a portal behind a bookcase when he tries to hide from patty and selma. He decides to risk it, jumps in and end up in "The Third Dimension" where everything is 3d animated. At the end he falls into an other hole and end up in a live-action world were he is still 3d animated.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.
Three days must pass before this YKTTW is Launchworthy or Discardable