(EDIT: Previously titled Dragons In Shining Armor) Pursuant to a discussion in TRS - Dragons that wear armor. This might seem a bit redundant, considering that dragons are already scaled and at the very least Made of Iron because of it. However, it looks really cool. Beyond that, it may serve a practical benefit. Perhaps the dragon has a weak spot in their scales that they'd want to cover. Perhaps the scales aren't as tough as they look. Maybe it's just a variant of heraldry for them. More common if a Dragon Rider is involved, as the dragon is treated as a fantastic version of a cavalry animal.
Examples:[[foldercontol]] [[folder: Literature]]
- Many dragons in Dragon Riders Of Pern.
- Rick Cook's Wizardry books.
- In the Eragon books, Saphira wears heavy armor to any big battle, and apparently the old Riders used dragon armor too.
- In the Age of Fire books, the scaleless gray dragon AuRon got the dwarves to make him some armor.
- Dragons in Naomi Novik's Temeraire series love anything sparkly, so they will wear "armor" that is mostly decorative. Temeraire has a platinum breastplate (a gift from his captain, Laurence) of which he is very proud.
- The Hobbit has Smaug the dragon, who encrusted his soft underbelly with diamonds and other gemstones. He has a single uncovered patch just above his heart, which Bilbo notices and passes on (accidentally, by way of an eavesdropping stork) to Bard the Bowman, who is able to spot and shoot it by looking for the one patch which isn't reflected in the moonlight.
- Some of the rule books for Dungeons & Dragons allow for armor constructed for dragons.
- Draconians in Dragonlance wear armor frequently.
- Armed Dragon cards in the YuGiOh Card Game, which go through Evolutionary Levels. Armed Dragon LV 3 upgrades to LV 5, to LV 7 (and that can be replaced with LV 10, optionally). They're an increasingly-humanoid series of red dragons wearing dark, shiny metal armor.
- Shows up in multiple Final Fantasy games. For example, the dragons of Cardia Island in Final Fantasy I, or the red and blue dragons found as Random Encounters in Final Fantasy IV.
- In The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon, you will occasionally come across different pieces of dragon armor to wear; each piece has its own special ability, and collecting a full set will give you a bonus ability with it.
- Drakes in Battle for Wesnoth. The law-keepers go Up to Eleven with a full set of golden armor over their scaly body.
- Mahou Daisakusen has Miyamoto the samurai dragon, who of course wears samurai armor.
- Several dragons in ''World of Warcraft'. The intro of Cataclysm in particular shows Deathwing getting his armour pinned to his scales.
- Both the Heterodyne dragon and the Baron's dragon in Girl Genius.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.