Do We Have This One? Needs A Better Description A type of trio. Sub Trope of Power Trio. Also a form of Elemental Rock Paper Scissors, in which the three elements of Earth, Water and Air are made a trinity. These are considered to be the three classic Theatres of War, each with its own branch of the military (Army, Navy, and Air Force respectively) specialized to fighting in it. See also Four Element Ensemble and Fire Ice Lightning, another common elemental trio.
Examples:Anime & Manga
- Magmatron from Beast Wars Neo has his units Landsaur, Skysaur and Seasaur.
- The Three Great Beasts, Behemoth (Land), Leviathan (Sea), and Ziz (Sky).
- In Greek Mythology, Zeus got land and sky, Poseidon got the ocean, and Hades drew the short straw for the Underworld.
- Also, there are the primordial gods Gaia (the earth), Uranus (the sky), and Pontus (the sea). Gaia, the first and born out of Chaos, conceived Uranus and Pontus via parthenogenesis, and then mated with them. Most notably, the Titans and Greek pantheon were the byproduct of her union with Uranus. Additionally, Tartarus (the hell-pit) was sometimes perceived as a primordial deity/force of nature.
- A common referent in Celtic Mythology.
- The Terrible Trio, a group of Batman villains introduced in the Silver Age, were criminals wearing masks of animals: Fox (Land), Shark (Sea) and Vulture (Sky).
- The big three Marvel (or rather, their predecessor Timely) heroes of World War II: Captain America is Land, Namor is Sea, and Human Torch (Jim Hammond) is Sky.
- In Julian May's continuity of the Black Trillium series, there are three Archwizards: of the land, sea, and sky. Binah, the only non-evil sorceress in the original book, is retconned as the Archmage of the Land.
- In the end of Quenta Silmarillion, all three of the eponymous Silmarils are distributed equally across the sky (Earendil's Silmaril), earth (Maedhros'), and sea (Maglor's).
- Very common in Super Sentai and Power Rangers series, such as Taiyou Sentai Sun Vulcan (Vul Eagle = air, Vul Shark = sea, Vul Panther = land).
- The transformations in The Legend Of Zelda Majoras Mask; Deku is air (flower helicopter), Goron is land (stone rolling), Zora is Sea (dolphin swimming).
- Three of the Four Guardians of Neo Arcadia in Mega Man Zero fit this mold. Each functions as the military general of their own unit: Sage Harpuia commands the Rekku Army (the air force), Fairy Leviathan is leader of the Meikai Army (the navy), and Fighting Fefnir controls the Jin'en Army (the army). This is off-set partially by the fourth Guardian (Hidden Phantom) and his Zan'ei Army, which was Neo Arcadia's stealth force and anti-Resistance intelligence unit.
- Pokemon: Groudon (land), Kyogre (sea), and Rayquaza (sky), all of which were based on the before-mentioned Three Great Beasts.
- Resident Evil 5: the Earth, Sea, and Sky Emblems used to open a gate in one level.
- The naming convention Sora (sky), Riku (land), and Kairi (sea) along with Ventus (sky), Terra (land), and Aqua (sea) in Kingdom Hearts.
- Mitsumete Knight R: Daibouken Hen has the Slates of Earth, Sea and Sky. Scattered throughout the world, you need to gather them and put them all in a machine inside the Pyramid in order to activate the Warp Whistle system.
- Used in one of the riddles in Batman Arkham City. Although the wording suggests the classic military interpretation the actual answer is a shipping company.
- In the Baten Kaitos series, the three objects used to seal Malpercio are the Earth Sphere, the Ocean Mirror and the Sword of the Heavens, when the sealing is shown in the 2nd game the line " Marno Ar Hello Insert Name Here, accursed one, for the sake of the earth, the sky and the ocean, thy life must end!" is used. Of note is that during the games until the ending, the earth "polluted and barren", the ocean is sealed away ("and the Lost Ocean") and the lower part of the sky filled with the poisonous "taintclouds".
- Centurions features Max Ray ("brilliant sea operations commander"), Jake Rockwell ("rugged land operations specialist") and Ace McCloud ("daring air operations expert").
Hello, Unkown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.
Three days must pass before this YKTTW is Launchworthy or Discardable