Item Amplifier YKTTW Discussion
A game mechanic that increases the efficiency of usable items.
Do We Have This One?? Alternative Titles: Item Intensifier An ability or item that increases the effects or duration of items used. The Item Caddy often has this ability. Examples include The Medic being able to heal more when using healing items, or able to heal more than one target with a single item. Compare Amplifier Artifact, an item that boosts the user's already existing powers, Quad Damage, a power-up to a character's stats, and Money Multiplier, something that can increase the amount of items found.
Examples:[[foldercontrol]] [[folder:Tabletop RPG]]
- Dungeons & Dragons
- The 2nd Edition chronomancer spell Item Supercharger could increase the number of times a magic item could be used per day and the duration of the item's effect(s).
- In the Dragon magazine #56 article "Singing a New Tune", bards were given the class ability to increase the effects and duration of several magical musical instruments.
- In the Pokemon Trading Card Game, Magnezone has the effect "Double Brain" that lets the player use 2 Supporter cards per turn instead of the usual 1.
- Cave Story: the Machine Gun has limited ammo, but automatically replenishes itself. The Turbocharge item increases the rate at which this ammo replenishes.
- Some Castlevania games have an Ankh item that increase the effect of healing items when equipped.
- The Potion Medal in The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword triples the duration of potions while it's in your inventory.
- Shopkeepers in RAGE offer various upgrades that improve aspects of your weaponry (an extended magazine for your combat shotgun, semiautomatic fire for your otherwise bolt-action sniper rifle, spread reduction for your assault rifle, et cetera).
- Team Fortress 2: The Backscratcher increases the amount of health gained from health kits by 50% for Pyros. However, other healing sources such as the Medic's mediguns, Engineer's dispenser, and the Payload cart heal the Pyro 75% slower.
- In Mann vs Machine mode, the Medic can upgrade any of his Mediguns to share Canteen abilities with their healing target.
- Bioshock has the plasmids Booze Hound and EVE Link, which add EVE regeneration with the use of health items (though you still get blurred vision from drinking too much). The Medical Expert and Extra Nutrition plasmids give more traditional boosts to the effects of health items.
- Borderlands gives us Class Mods which offer boosts to specific armaments. Borderlands2 adds Artifacts which can do similar things to just about all aspects of your character.
- In the Ghosts N Goblins SNES sequel Super Ghouls and Ghosts, picking up turquoise and golden armor gives your weapons more power and in the latter, the ability to charge up your attacks.
- League of Legends has this in the form of the Rabadon's and Wooglet's Deathcaps. They're a bit of a mix between this and Amplifier Artifact though, since they improve the ability power gained from any source: Be they items or the character's innate ability power.
- Warcraft III hero units can carry items that improve the damage dealt by their weaponry, such as Orbs of Fire and Claws of Attack.
- The Thief class in Desktop Dungeons restores both health and mana with any kind of potions. The Monk class, meanwhile, enjoys increased restoration rate from health potions.
- Most weapons and armor in Knights of the Old Republic can be fitted with various upgrades to improve damage, critical chance, protection, and even health regeneration.
- Mass Effect:
- Dragon Age allows you to improve various aspects of your weapons with removable runic enchantments.
- In Paper Mario and its sequels, the Badges "Double Dip" and "Triple Dip" allow Mario to use 2 items or 3 items per turn, respectively.
- Goggles in Dubloon boost the effectiveness of battle items used by whoever equips them.
- In Wild Arms: Alter Code F, Jane's Force ability allows her to use an item and have it affect the entire party. The game also has a skill called Floral Arts that can be equipped to any character, and causes healing berries to restore twice as much health.
- The Item Lore Augments in Final Fantasy XII increase the effectiveness of items for each one purchased.
- The Economical Ring in Final Fantasy IV: The After Years doubles the effectiveness of healing items used and is typically given to Edward to supplement his Item Caddy abilities to supplant a role usually had by a White Mage
- The Scholar job in Final Fantasy III doubles the effectiveness of all items used including the magical attack items making them far more deadly then they initially appear.
- The Chemist job in Final Fantasy V doubles the effect of HP and MP restoring items.
- The Alchemist dressphere of Final Fantasy X-2 can combine different items to create Awesome Yet Practical effects that you wouldn't normally obtain.
- One of the item combination effects in Final Fantasy XIII-2 is "Improved Potions", which increases the amount of health restored potions.
- Fallout 3
- There is a perk that doubles the effects of books, which naturally increase stats by 1 point.
- An item called the Food Sanitizer increases the amount of health recovered by food items by 20%.
- In EarthBound, using the right condiment with the appropriate food increases the healing power of the latter.
- Urban Dead has the First Aid and Surgery skills that increase the amount of hit points restored from First Aid Kits by 5 each. The first skill is passive while the second one works only in powered hospital buildings.
- Dishonored: two skills obtainable can increase the amount of health and mana recovered from using potions.
- Every item in the Disgaea series has a randomly generated dungeon inside of it--the more floors you clear, the stronger the item becomes.
- In the Civilization series, some of the Wonders that can be built will amplify the effects of any city improvements you've also built (such as the Sistine Chapel which doubles the effects of any cathedrals you've built), or amplify unit abilities (Magellan's Expedition increasing ship mobility).
- In Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana, Klein has a skill called Power Item, which does Exactly What It Says on the Tin
- In Dead Rising and Dead Rising 2, weapon durability can be extended from obtaining a certain book or magazine.