(Sigh) The City of Townsville... and it's raining. No one on the street, because it's raining. No government today because it's raining. Not even any crime, because it's raining. Run little guy. Run and hide, because it's raining. And definitely no crime fighting today, because it's raining.
The Powerpuff Girls Narrator,' "The Powerpuff Girls Best Rainy Day Adventure Ever"
Rain rain go away,
Come again another day.Nothing spoils plans for a day out like that day out being overcast and pouring down rain. Often a form of Breather Episode, a common situation for series such as sitcoms, slice of lifers, and cartoons featuring children as its main cast. A rainy day forces them to remain indoors when they would much rather be outside. Forces them to find alternative entertainment. Depending on the severity of the storm, the power may go out and force them to find non-electronic forms of alternative entertainment. This can also be used more seriously for character development if, for instance, two characters are stuck in whatever shelter is handy at the time the storm hits. Can also cause a bit of Cabin Fever in some characters. In Japanese-made media, rainstorms are frequently substituted with typhoons. This trope is, in essence, when the plot for an episode is derived from bad weather either causing the characters to be unable to go outside or having to find some place to get shelter.
Examples:Anime & Manga
- Kanamemo featured an episode in which all the girls were stuck indoors due to a typhoon.
- Not surprisingly, Windy Tales, being about girls who could control wind, also had an episode featuring a typhoon.
- The Cat In The Hat
The sun did not shine. It was too wet to play. So we sat in the house. All that cold, cold, wet day.
- Married... with Children had an episode in which the Bundys and the D'Arcys were stuck in the basement during a tornado.
- Persona 3 has a week in the game calendar in which a typhoon hits the city. The necessity of finding something to do, however, is removed by the protagonist becoming sick during the entire week.
- When it rains in Persona 4, all social links, save for The Hermit and the nighttime Social Links, are unavailable. It's most likely done to force the player to go to the available dungeon and rescue the trapped victim.
- The Powerpuff Girls episode "The Powerpuff Girls' Best Rainy Day Adventure Ever" was all about the girls having to entertain themselves when the weather prevented any crime fighting.
- An episode of Avatar The Last Airbender had taking shelter from rain as the backdrop for the telling of Aang's and Zuko's backstories.
- Happens several times on Arthur.
Hello, Unkown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.
Three days must pass before this YKTTW is Launchworthy or Discardable