Always V Sexy YKTTW Discussion
|Always V Sexy|
Names starting with V being portrayed as especially sexy or sensual names.
If there are no objections, this will be launched Sunday morning. Vesper. Violet. Victoria. Vienna. Vivian. Veronica. Victor. Something about the V's serve to make names sexier. They're also fairly unusual, which is probably part of it. As a result, a woman with a V name in a work is often a hint that she's supposed to be the alluring one. Bonus points if both the first and last name of the character both start with V. Usually female, but not necessarily; names like Victor, Valentine, or Vincent can come off as this as well. Avoid real life examples unless it's a stage name or otherwise invokes this trope; someone good looking happening to have a name starting with V isn't good enough. Index: Naming Conventions.
- Veronica from Archie Comics is an early example, and maybe a Trope Codifier.
- Vicki Vale from Batman comes to mind.
- Another comic book example is the fairly obscure Marvel Universe heroine Vienna, who qualifies.
- V'Lana, a sort of Evil Counterpart to Queen Mera from Aqua Man
- Veronica Corningstone from Anchorman was like this. She arrives at the news station and all the men completely lose it.
- Maybe notable that the first Batman movie of the modern era uses Vicki Vale as the love interest.
- Velma and Veronica Kelly from Chicago aim for the sultry jazz girl image. And succeed.
- A famous male example is Vincent Vega from Pulp Fiction, played by John Travolta.
- Vesper Lynd from Casino Royale, played at her alluring best by Eva Green.
- Violet from the movie Ultra Violet, played by Mila Jovovich
- Vivian from Legally Blonde may or may not be an example. She's portrayed as stuffy and not particularly sensual, but on the other hand Warner leaves Elle for her and she is played by Selma Blair
- Played with in regards to Viktor Krum from Harry Potter. He's an international Quidditch player, which makes all the girls at Hogwarts swoon over him, but he's also described as not especially attractive, and spends a good deal of time in the library.
- Vittoria Vetra from Dan Brown's Angels & Demons. The sexy Italian yoga master.
- Vesper Lynd from Casino Royale, as mentioned above.
- Conan the Barbarian gives us the pirate queen Valeria.
- In an episode of Better Off Ted, the boss attempts to blackmail one the pawns into signing a waver using her best sultry act.
Veronica: "Ooh. I like the way you say my name. Veronica... Ooh. I like the way I say it too"Corporate Mook: "I could listen to you say your name all day"Veronica: "So could I!"
- On a recent season of The Bachelor, the winner was a woman named Vienna. Let's just say she didn't win because of her social graces.
- One name for the Lady of the Lake in Arthurian legend is Viviane. Obviously she isn't really "sexy" in a traditional sense (in most interpretations anyway), but is mysterious and powerful, and the name adds to that.
- Another male example is Vincent Valentine from Final Fantasy VII
- Vanessa from King of Fighters.
- Vanessa Lewis from Virtua Fighter
- Dragon Age: Origins has Velanna, a party member in Awakenings.
- Veronica Reed from Questionable Content is a kink model under the name Veronica Vance.
- Valerie from Sluggy Freelance is certainly drawn to look fairly sexy, and is Torg's first real love interest. And she's a vampire to boot.
- In The Little Mermaid, what name does Ursula take when she turns into a sultry young woman in order to seduce Erik? Vanessa, of course.
- Found in Vanessa from Phineas and Ferb, of all places.