If there are no objections, this will be launched Sunday morning.
Vesper. Violet. Victoria. Vienna. Vivian. Veronica. Victor.
Something about the V's
serve to make names sexier. They're also fairly unusual, which is probably part of it. As a result, a woman with a V name in a work is often a hint that she's supposed to be the alluring one. Bonus points
if both the first and last name of the character both start with V.
, but not necessarily; names like Victor, Valentine
, or Vincent can come off as this as well.
Avoid real life examples unless it's a stage name or otherwise invokes this trope; someone good looking happening to have a name starting with V isn't good enough.
Index: Naming Conventions
- Veronica Corningstone from Anchorman was like this. She arrives at the news station and all the men completely lose it.
- Maybe notable that the first Batman movie of the modern era uses Vicki Vale as the love interest.
- Velma and Veronica Kelly from Chicago aim for the sultry jazz girl image. And succeed.
- A famous male example is Vincent Vega from Pulp Fiction, played by John Travolta.
- Vesper Lynd from Casino Royale, played at her alluring best by Eva Green.
- Violet from the movie Ultra Violet, played by Mila Jovovich
- Vivian from Legally Blonde may or may not be an example. She's portrayed as stuffy and not particularly sensual, but on the other hand Warner leaves Elle for her and she is played by Selma Blair
- Played with in regards to Viktor Krum from Harry Potter. He's an international Quidditch player, which makes all the girls at Hogwarts swoon over him, but he's also described as not especially attractive, and spends a good deal of time in the library.
- Vittoria Vetra from Dan Brown's Angels & Demons. The sexy Italian yoga master.
- Vesper Lynd from Casino Royale, as mentioned above.
- Conan the Barbarian gives us the pirate queen Valeria.
- One name for the Lady of the Lake in Arthurian legend is Viviane. Obviously she isn't really "sexy" in a traditional sense (in most interpretations anyway), but is mysterious and powerful, and the name adds to that.
- Veronica Reed from Questionable Content is a kink model under the name Veronica Vance.
- Valerie from Sluggy Freelance is certainly drawn to look fairly sexy, and is Torg's first real love interest. And she's a vampire to boot.
- In The Little Mermaid, what name does Ursula take when she turns into a sultry young woman in order to seduce Erik? Vanessa, of course.
- Found in Vanessa from Phineas and Ferb, of all places.
- Veronica Varlow of Emilie Autumn's backup band. She's also known as The Naughty Veronica; she used to be a pinup model and a burlesque actress.
- The name "Vanessa" was coined by Jonathan Swift (of Gulliver's Travels fame) to refer to his longtime lover, Esther Vanhomrigh. Trope Maker?