Destroy And Recreate YKTTW Discussion
|Destroy And Recreate|
The villains want to erase this world to recreate a brand new oneNeeds Examples Already have?
While The Hero tries to save the world, it sometimes happens that the villains also want to save it… in their own way. They do want wars to cease and humans to stop being bastards, to eliminate sadness and misery. They just think it's already too late, humanity has gone too far off the deep end, and the only way to create this ideal world is to erase this one first and restart everything from scratch. The method to recreate the world will vary, it may involve the activation of some MacGuffin, the resurrection of some Divine entity or an Adam and Eve Plot. The villains will also often want to keep a few survivors chosen among some kind of elite, which will usually include themselves; but they may also be willing to be part of the "sacrifice". On the contrary, it can also be a way to create a world at the villain's own image, fully under their control. Compare Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds and Necessary Evil. Related either to Utopia Justifies the Means or Despotism Justifies the Means.
ExamplesAnime and Manga
- In Fullmetal Alchemist, the heads of Amestris' army consider themselves as the future elite of the new world, and one general invokes this trope, saying that the Amestrian people will continue to live within them after they are turned into philosopher's stones. In reality, not only do they not give a crap about the lowly people, but the Big Bad just wants to become a God and has absolutely no intention of giving the generals immortality.
- A more figurative example: Lelouch's Badass Boast in Code Geass is "I am the man who destroys worlds and creates them anew", reflecting his struggle to destroy the Britannian world order and create a more peaceful one for his loved ones to live in.
- James Bond films
First there was the dream, now there is reality. Here in the untainted cradle of the heavens will be created a new super race, a race of perfect physical specimens. You have been selected as its progenitors. Like gods, your offspring will return to Earth and shape it in their image. You have all served in public capacities in my terrestrial empire. Your seed, like yourselves, will pay deference to the ultimate dynasty which I alone have created. From their first day on Earth they will be able to look up and know that there is law and order in the heavens.
- The Spy Who Loved Me. Karl Stromberg considers civilization to be corrupt and decadent, so he tries to start a nuclear war between the U.S. and U.S.S.R. When the dust settles, he will create a new and beautiful world beneath the sea.
- Moonraker. Drax considers civilization to be tainted and disorderly. He plans to kill all human beings on Earth except for his select few.
- The Angels and Father Balder in Bayonetta seek to resurrect Jubileus so that She can reunite the Trinity of Realities (Paradiso, Inferno and the Human World) and recreate the world from scratch. That would of course involve killing every single living thing in the current one.
- The heads of LOA in Ninja Gaiden 3 have such a goal, using a purified Dragon Sword and the blood of the Dragon God (i.e. Ryū's blood) to create a "Goddess". The chairman of LOA has a a long Motive Rant about this just before you finish him off.
- Implied to be Alduin (The world eater)'s job in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Paarthunax actually questions the hero for trying to stop the next world for coming about.
- In Pokémon Diamond and Pearl, This is the ultimate goal for Team Galactic leader, Cyrus.
- In Tales of the Abyss this is the ultimate goal of the Big Bad. He wants to kill everyone and replace them with replicas, who aren't bound by the Score, as revenge for the destruction of his home, Hod.
- In Order Of The Stick, this is one possible outcome of the plan drawn up by The Dark One, the deity who precides over the goblins. He wants to use the Snarl, an Eldritch Abomination with god-killing, world-destroying power, to coerce the other gods into giving goblins a better lot in life, but if that fails, he will unleash the Snarl and use it to destroy the planet, forcing the gods to remake the world. Since the Dark One has been elevated to godhood, he will have a say in how the new world is built, and will create goblins who are equal to the other races instead of fodder for low-level adventurers.
- In Gargoyles, Demona's deepest desire is to destroy all humanity to create a world where gargoyles rule and sees herself as the true savior of the gargoyle race. It is a matter of debate whether Operation Clean Slate would've killed her or not. (Magic spell linking her to an immortal human, long story.)