When he said "last call for shots", he wasn't kidding.
So the hero wanders into a seedy bar. Maybe he brushes against a less-than-reputable goon. Maybe the goon is just looking to pick a fight. Maybe the hero can't afford to pay the tab
. Whatever the case, this scenario can only end in bloodshed.
The bartender quickly dives behind the bar. A cowardly move... but then he emerges, shotgun in tow and ready to quell any disturbances to his business.
This action is not necessarily limited to bartenders, although it is a common occurrence. Similarly, while the shotgun is a common firearm used, other firearms such as rifles or pistols may be used. The key point is that the firearm is retrieved specifically from the bar
Anime and Manga
- In Black Lagoon, the owner of the Yellowflag keeps a shotgun behind the bar handy for inevitable shootouts. It doesn't hurt that the bar itself is fully armored to withstand shots.
- Happens several times in Supernatural.
- In an episode of The Mentalist, Rigsby's father (an ex-con) is "helping" on a case, and goes into a Bad-Guy Bar. Moments later several people run out. Rigsby enters and finds his father with a shiv pointed at some guy's throat and the bartender with a shotgun pointed at Rigsby Sr.
- After Bond crashes the Kiss Kiss Club in Everything or Nothing, he automatically takes cover behind the bar and acquires a shotgun.
- During Mafia's mid-mission stages, Luigi the bartender packs a shotgun behind the bar and will not hesitate to gun Tommy down if he attacks any of his allies.
- Bartenders in Mafia II will pull a shotgun on Vito if he tries to rob them.
- After Jenny in Gun is taken hostage at the Alhambra Saloon, the bartender unlocks a cabinet behind the bar and pulls out what appears to be a rifle. However, after the cutscene ends he actually uses a pistol instead.
- In the "Massacre at Cheung Chau Fish Restaurant" level of Hitman, if 47 pulls a weapon on the bartender, he will duck behind the bar and unload a sawed-off shotgun on him.
- Moe Szyslak keeps a sawed-off shotgun handy in case of cheapskate customers or when he loses his temper, which happens all the time.