Alternate title: Rage Swipe
Inspired by this Bug
Maybe the Cowboy Cop
has been forced to turn in his badge
, or the Big Bad
's plans have just been thwarted, or the hero's Berserk Button
just got pressed, or maybe (to show a different type of emotion) the Sexy Secretary
has finally said "Yes", and there's no time to waste
How better to show rage, impatience or sudden amorousness than to take one arm and swipe everything off the desk (sometimes accompanied by an inarticulate scream)?! Used as shorthand to show that the character is out of control.
Related to Villainous Breakdown
, Professionals Do It on Desks
. Often a part of an Anger Montage
- Done on Herman's Head when Herman and Heddy finally get together... on the boss's desk!
- Discussed a couple of times on Friends:
- When Rachel is dating her assistant Tag, she dramatically sweeps all the stuff off her desk:
Tag: Oh my God. Are you serious?
Rachel: No, I just always wanted to do that. Can you help me pick this stuff up?
- When Phoebe dates David the Scientist Guy
David: ...the longer I waited, the more phenomenal the kiss had to be, and now we've reached a place where it's just gotta be one of those things where I just like... sweep everything off the table and throw you down on it. And, uh, I'm not really a, uh, sweeping sorta fella.
- Fantastic Mr. Fox: When Mr. Bean, leader of the local farmers, gets word that Mr. Fox has robbed them blind by digging under all of their security, he swipes everything off his desk, flips it, and keeps going, completely wrecking the trailer he was using as a headquarters.