"To be happy, we must not be too concerned with others."
-- Albert Camus
Here are tropes dealing with characters who don't care about anybody but themselves. They want everything in the world to themselves. They pretty much do anything for themselves
. Everything is centered around themselves
. This is one of the main reasons why Humans Are the Real Monsters
Compare Ego Tropes
and Obsession Tropes
. Their favorite index is Money Tropes
. See also Apathy Index
where they just don't care.
- All Take and No Give: Taking is better than giving.
- Ambition Is Evil: Pretty much how a selfish person is unquestionably evil.
- Apathetic Citizens: We got better things to do than to help save some homeless people.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: I may be competent, but I'm too selfish to help out.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Selfish authority figures.
- Con Man: I play people for fools to get what I want.
- Crazy Survivalist: I'm preparing myself for this catastrophe. I don't care about you!
- Deal with the Devil: If the Big Bad has your best interests, then that will have to involve the self.
- Death by Materialism: A character gets a Karmic Death for their greed.
- Despotism Justifies the Means: The villain only wants to be in charge just because.
- Dirty Coward: Putting their own safety above others'.
- The Ditherer: To some extent, it's selfish to not make a decision for others.
- Egocentrically Religious: Expecting an deity to do things for him.
- Entitled Bastard: These idiots only help me and my problems.
- Greed: Self-explanatory. It's one of the Seven Deadly Sins.
- Heroic Team Revolt: Sometimes, The Hero can be selfish in refusing to save others, so the rest of his companions do it themselves.
- It Amused Me: Doing things for your own enjoyment.
- It's All About Me: The ultimate attitude of self-centeredness.
- Just Here for Godzilla: Fans can be selfish by caring about the action more than the creator's entire work.
- Karmic Thief: Selfish people stealing from others who deserve it.
- Lack of Empathy: Who needs to share humans emotions?
- Loners Are Freaks: Sometimes, what makes a character appear to be selfish is their love for solitude than others' company.
- Loveable Rogue: Breaks the rules for their own benefit, but is somewhat likable.
- Love Hungry: I care about their love for me.
- Manipulative Bastard: I must deceive people so I can get what I want.
- Narcissist: The stock character of self-centeredness.
- Never My Fault: Caring about yourself more than taking responsibility for your actions.
- Nominal Hero: Sometimes, a hero's motivations have nothing to do with the good of others.
- Not in This for Your Revolution: I'm not here for what's going on.
- Only in It for the Money: Characters do things because they expect to get paid.
- Personal Gain Hurts: Where selfish desires have bad consequences.
- Pragmatic Villainy: Even Evil Has Standards. True, but I'm always in it for myself.
- Pride: Caring about how important you are.
- Screw The Rules, I Have Money: Who cares about morals and ethics? We've got money!
- Selfish Good, Selfish Evil: Doing good, evil, or neutral for selfish reasons.
- Self-Serving Memory: This is how I interpret it...
- Signed Up for the Dental: I work here so I can get healthcare.
- Slimeball: I'm selfish and I always show it!
- Smug Snake: So into themselves they end up failing.
- The Social Darwinist: I'm selfish because I believe that it's survival of the fittest.
- The Sociopath: Don't care about morality, peoples' emotions, or anything...except me and my wants.
- Somebody Else's Problem: Let the cops get the robber. I've got better things to do than to do their job.
- Spoiled Brat: The little kid is selfish and self-centered.
- Royal Brat: The little kid in a royal family is selfish and self-centered.
- Take Over the World: A villain's trademark motive.
- Taking Advantage of Generosity: Selfishness by exploiting others' kindness.
- Thanatos Gambit: I sacrifice myself for my own profit.
- Too Clever by Half: Thinks they're better than they really are.
- True Neutral: The selfish alignment.
- Wasteful Wishing: If wishing for something that's unimportant seems selfish, then so be it.
- Wild Card: I'm on nobody's side. I'm on my side!
- Wangst: If they're so wrapped up in their own sadness that they ignore other people's problems.