A character who has an extremely aggressive treatment of competitive events, ranging from important goals to even light hearted past times
. "It's just a game" will always go over this guy's head as he insists on being the best at any minor challenge placed in front of him. Takes losing VERY badly
, and generally isn't the most humble winner either
While often Played for Laughs
, serious enterpretations can exist. In most cases expect them to have an Inferiority Superiority Complex
or Freudian Excuse
as to why they constantly insist on proving themselves or being the best at everything they do.
is often a case issued against a single individual. May also overlap into X Must Not Win
. See also Blood Knight
and "Stop Having Fun" Guys
Anime & Manga
- Black Star from Soul Eater. Particularly if someone else is getting more attention than him.
- Ranma of Ranma ½ has a bad case of this, including at least one battle where he must prove he has better feminine sex appeal. Often lampshaded by bystanders.
- Tomo from Azumanga Daioh, though mainly in her first appearance. It should be noted she's kind of terrible at everything she tries...
- Often a recurring plot line for many characters in SpongeBob SquarePants, Sandy and Spongebob himself are perhaps the most notable examples however.
- Vince comes off as this in an episode of Recess, becoming extremely egotistical about winning any game he takes part in. The others become irritated by this and dare him to last a day without winning once, at which point he becomes drunk on losing at every game he plays.
- Used to parody Bono in South Park, having won a ridiculous number of acheivements and becoming ridiculously protective of his "Biggest Crap Award" (to the point of cheating to reclaim it from Randy). The reason for this is revealed that Bono is the original Biggest Crap, constantly trying to be Number One in everything, but never managing to shake off he is actually a "Number Two".
Stan: Dude, don't you have enough? I mean, you got tons of money, a jet, and the biggest rock band in the world, a hot wife, and, you've been knighted. I mean, at some point, can't you just kind of... fuck off?
- Rainbow Dash in Friendship Is Magic is this trope, The Great And Powerful Trixie is Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better.
- Stinkoman from Homestar Runner is this to a T: "did somebody say...CHALLENGE?!"
- Stan Smith of American Dad! insists on winning at every sport and game he does, the first instance he lost, he attempted suicide.
- Parodied in the Family Guy episode "Running Mates" after Peter becomes obsessed with beating Lois in an election for school board president.
Brian: Peter, are you sure you wanna run against Lois. You know how competitive you get.
Peter: Hey I can be just as non competitive as anyone. In fact I am the most non competitive, so I win!
- A stereotype exists that Australians can and will turn anything into a competition. This would certainly explain how sheep shearing came to be a sport.