FrillsOfJustice Frills Of Justice YKTTW Discussion
|Frills Of Justice|
Magical Girl Costuming TropesDescription Needs Help
Magical Girl can be complete without a spiffy costume, decked out with frills and bling. While there are a huge variety of styles when it comes to such costumes, the pervading theme seems to be colorful, very girly, highly unlikely fighting gear meant to appeal to Rule of Cool, Rule of Cute, or Rule of Glamorous and whose impracticality never seems to get in the way of their ability to take out the bad guys. Impossibly Cool Clothes is definitely in effect here. Usually Suspension of Disbelief is required to belief such a costume to be ideal for fighting, though occasionally there will be a Handwave in the form of an explicit mention that the protection of the outfit is magical. While every Magical Girl has her own unique costume, there are definitely some very common elements that pop up within the genre and which, when combined, become the iconic Magical Girl costume. The most common traits include:
- A frilly skirt or dress. An overwhelming majority of the time this is a Minidress of Power. "Frilly" can mean pleats that echo the schoolgirl Sailor Fuku, large ballerina tutu ruffles, flowery fairy-style skirts, airy poofy skirts...and so on. More rare is a tight miniskirt or short shorts.
- A distinctive, bright color scheme. Pinks and other pastels feature heavily but by no means have a monopoly. The Dark Magical Girl gets lots of black added to the palette. A team of magical girls will usually be Color-Coded for Your Convenience.
- Ribbons. It could be a Giant Waist Ribbon, it could be a prominent bow on the chest, it could be hair ribbons (see further down), it could be other ribbons that look cool when the girl is twirling in her Transformation Sequence.
- Accessories and jewelry in an assortment of recurring motifs: hearts, stars, flowers, butterflies (especially Butterfly of Death and Rebirth and as symbols of metamorphosis that fit well with growing girls) wings and gems.
- A signature accessory, rod, wand or weapon decked in the same motifs.
- A Transformation Trinket, which may be the same item as above. It too may transform and integrate itself into the costume.
Whole Outfit Tropes
- Battle Ballgown
- Bare Your Midriff - A trait that is becoming more recently popular, mainly for older characters.
- Fairytale Wedding Dress
- Frilly Upgrade
- Good Colors, Evil Colors - Pink is the team leader with Red usually being The Lancer, all black usually means Dark Magical Girl.
- Leotard of Power - Almost never alone, usually combined with the skirt.
- Minidress of Power
- Modesty Shorts
- Sailor Fuku - ''Codename wa Sailor V'' and ''Sailor Moon'' are the first and most obvious examples but as iconic as they are on Japanese schoolgirls, echos of them appear in other designs.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?
- Chest Brooch (placeholder)- often doubling as a Power Crystal.
- Detached Sleeves
- Flowy Ribbons (placeholder)
- Giant Poofy Sleeves
- Giant Waist Ribbon
- Wings- especially for the leader of a Magical Girl team, with Occasional Power Gives You Wings with a Frilly Upgrade
Foot Gear Tropes
- Cool Crown - A princess tiara or some form of circlet, specially if the Magical Girl has a princess origin story.
- Some form of short cape.
- Hair Decorations
- Opera Gloves - or other fancy gloves
- Power Crystal
- Pretty Choker Necklace (placeholder)
- Requisite Royal Regalia
Hair And Eye Tropes
- Amazing Technicolor Hair
- Curtains Match The Windows
- Elemental Eye Colors
- Girlish Pigtails
- Odango Hair
- Tomboyish Ponytail
- Power Makes Your Hair Grow
- Princess Curls
- Mega Twin Tails
- Pretty Cure
- Futari wa Pretty Cure
- Cure Black◊ her Bare Your Midriff caused quite a stir amoung Moral Guardians as a result it is covered up in Season 2◊. She is the only one in the entire 8 seasons to not get Every Girl Is Cuter with Hair Decs.
- Cure White◊ She only gets a minor Frilly Upgrade for season 2 same golden upgrade for movie 1 and movie 2 upgrade◊ Cure Rainbow White in Pretty Cure All Stars DX 2 uses the same outfit but with Wings
- Shiny Luminous◊◊ While not an Official Cure her outfits are certainly treated as such and follow the same upgrade line as Cure White
- Pretty Cure Splash Star Unique in that there is no real Mid-Season Upgrade the costume change is a complete form change with just different powers.
- Yes! Pretty Cure 5: A Butterfly Motif dominates the costumes. All pretty much follow the same design just Pallet Swap gaining jackets in season 2 and a few frills for the first movie with Butterfly wings the only unique one is Shining Cure Dream from the second movie.
- Fresh Pretty Cure!
- Heartcatch Precure Flower Motif is the king here. When they gain their super forms their skirts bloom.
- Cure Blossom◊ Super Cure Blossom◊
- Cure Marine◊ Super Cure Marine◊
- Cure Sunshine◊ Super Cure Sunshine◊
- Cure Moonlight◊ Super Cure Moonlight◊ is unique in that she is from the previous generation of cures, her outfit is quite different than the others she does not use a mini skirt but a cut open dress, and uses two color motifs instead of the usual one, purple and silver. Her Fashionable Asymmetry matches up with Dark Pretty Cure◊ hinting at their connection at they are two halves of the moon and other things.
- Cure Flower◊
- Dark Cure◊
- Suite Precure Music is the theme here.
- Cure Melody◊
- Cure Rhythm◊
- Cure Muse◊ playing the Dark Is Not Evil Mysterious Protector she gets next to no frills however its going to come off with lots of frills◊ once she truly becomes a good girl .
- Cure Beat◊ gets frills when she does a Heel-Face Turn Watch it don't ruffle her costume or hair they make Guitar Rifts when touched.
- The girls of Smile Pretty Cure! all share a Feather Motifs with lots of little variations to their outfits like everyone has a half skirt tied on their back in a different shape, different shaped Chest Bow the Tomboyish Cure Sunny and Cure March are lacking in the frills a bit on their skirt and shoulders for easier action and Cure Sunny is the only one to wear Zettai Ryouiki.
- Futari wa Pretty Cure
- Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei's Magical Girl Spoof Model Warrior Lily Cure◊ plays it as straight as can be however for once the one in pink is not the leader.
- Ayumu◊ (yes a guy....) and Haruna the Magical Girl s in Kore wa Zombie desu ka? with a theme of bows lots and lots of bows for their Frilly Upgrade they gain Heart Symbols and as they put it "Were getting cuter!"
- In Negima The Mahou Shoujo Biblion series with a Magical Girl duo Biblio Pink Tulip â™¥ and Biblo Red Rose â™¥ , the Magical Girl costume is Standard Sailor Fuku with Cat and Rabbit ears and tails respectively. First appears in an Imagine Spot with Nodoka and Yue, Makie and Ayaka wear the same outfit later on for the Cosplay and the fight in side the computer system.
- Chisame cosplays as "Rouland Rouge" its suppose to be the Dark Magical Girl of the series, outfit is a Black Sailor Fuku with black kitty like ears, bat wings, and a devil's tail with Zettai Ryouiki the character is suppose to be very innocent "shy crybaby" supporting the personality of Zettai Ryouiki.