Sociopaths are essencially the human version of Always Chaotic Evil in media. Since we consider morality to be good, they are naturally depicted as amoral and selfish. While it is somewhat Truth in Television, sociopaths are still human, and it's not unnatural that sociopaths have a sense of right and wrong, even though it is completly different from what other people consider that to be. Many diagnosed sociopaths are known to have moral codes, either unique to them or already established. Naturally, since these types of morality focus more on abstract concepts rather than the people themselves, expect some rather nasty extremism. This is not to be confused with ‹bermensch. Moral sociopaths can have their own unique moral codes, but they are just as likely to adhere to already established things like Christianity and Communism.
Examples:Anime and Manga
- Fullmetal Alchemist. Kimblee is perhaps the most iconic example in anime. While he is an Ax-Crazy Mad Bomber, it is well established that he does have a sense of honour, although a rather twisted one.
- Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Frollo is selfish in his lust for Esmeralda, but otherwise he sincerely believes half of the things he does genuinely are what God intended.
- The phyrexians from Magic: The Gathering qualify big time; they have a very well structured religious system and many of them hang neurotically to their philosophy, but they have so little empathy that Complete Monster might as well be their hat. New Phyrexia indeed has two factions that fit this bill perfectly: the Machine Orthodoxy, composed of white aligned phyrexians that formed a nightmarish faith which they cling to obsessively, and the Progress Engine, composed of blue aligned phyrexians whose view of "progress" would make Josef Mengele proud.
- Kore from Goblins. He does sincerely believe he is doing the right thing by mercilessly slaughtering everyone that has been in contact with "evil races", even children of his own species that were with said "evil races".
- Countless religious extremists. No specific examples are needed, because chances are that you have crossed with someone like this on your life time.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.