The Don YKTTW Discussion
This is a Patriarch in the most famous family of all. He is shrewd, ruthless, and better not be crossed. Often though he will hold to an arcane code of honor, which is perhaps incomprehensible to non-mobsters. He will be very protective of his family and he will ensure that his dear little darling wants for nothing. Unlike other villains this type is often fairly Genre Savvy. Quite likely he did read the Evil Overlord List . A female Don is a Dragon Lady. Film
- Vito and Michael Corelone in The Godfather
- Bruto Cadaverini from Ace Attorney.
- Marc-Ange Draco, head of the Unione Corse in the James Bond novel (and film) On Her Majesty's Secret Service.
- Rene Benoit of NCIS
- Tony Soprano of The Sopranos
- Carmine "The Roman" Falcone from the Batman: The Long Halloween miniseries.
- Monk has had the occasional run in with these, including once when he was hired by one who wanted to find out who had attacked their barbershop front so as to be sure they where not going to start a needless mob war.
- Peter also has dealings with one in an episode where he gets into debt with the Mob in an episode of Family Guy.
- The Simpsons has Fat Tony.
- Discworld has "honest businessmen" Harry King (complete with missing pinky) and the Troll Chrysoprase who both fit the Don stereotype to the letter.
- Futurama has The Don Bot.
- Hungarian gangster Andrei Gyorgy is an interesting and obscure example of this. His smuggling prowess in World War II made him not merely an important crime lord, but a major player in the espionage game. He was hired for various purposes by many different factions including the British , Americans , Germans, the Hungarians and the Zionists and who knows how many others. After the war his syndicate broke up and he retired to become an obscure bartender.