Calm Winner, Fretting Loser
In a contest or conflict, the winning side keeps calm, while the losing one loses composure.
Rule of thumb to tell how two characters locked in a conflict or (sports) contest fare:
- Both are calm and confident: They are evenly matched.
- One remains confident, while the other becomes nervous: The former is getting the upper hand.
- Both sides become nervous: Something is not going as expected.
Examples:Anime & Manga
- In Lelouch's strategical stand offs against Schneizel throughout Code Geass R2, you can always tell when the former begins to lose when he starts grimacing under the mask, while Schneizel just sits there like he's enjoying a movie.
- In the final battle between Neo and Agent Smith in Matrix Revolutions, Neo remains calm the whole time, even when Agent Smith is trying to convert Neo into a clone, via Smith's hand stabbed into his chest, while Agent Smith ends up panicking when Neo resists him.
- In Star Trek: The Next Generation, Data takes on a Strategema master in a game of Strategema. The first time they play, the master wins and is calmly condescending to Data. The second time, Data plays to draw and the master gets more and more pissed off during the game before finally rage quitting.
- In the concert version of Chess, Freddy grows more and more agitated during his first game against Anatoly, who remains confident. In the middle of the game, Freddy flips over the board to Rage Quit.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.
Three days must pass before this YKTTW is Launchworthy or Discardable