After the hero/heroine/heroes avert an impending crisis, Mission Control
explodes in cheering after sitting in suspense ("He/She/They did it!"). May include ecstatic crying
, sudden hugging
, and a resolution to earlier conflicts in Mission Control
Subtrope of Mission Control
. Contrast Missing Mission Control
- Gundam Wing: When battleship Libra is falling to Earth, all the characters come to destroy it before the impact. Heero arrives but is without his most powerful weapon because he lost it in a recent battle. All of a sudden Wufei finds it and brings it to him and informs mission control. "I've given Heero his Buster Rifle!" Mission Control erupts in cheers--and he hasn't even used it yet.
- At the end of Air Force One, sparked by a C-130's announcement of the successful rescue of the president from the stricken Air Force One.
- Happens in Armageddon after Harry Stamper's team defeats the comet -- with one notable exception.
- Happens at the end of Apollo 13, when the crew responds after entering the atmosphere.
- In The Cabin in the Woods, the control room staff celebrate and break out the champagne when the ritual finally seems to have succeeded in pleasing the Elder Gods for another year.
- Independence Day. After Russell Case flies his jet into the alien ship's primary weapon and destroys it, the mission control personnel in Area 51 start cheering.
- Iron Man 2 after Tony saves the fighter pilot by punching his parachute.
- Star Wars: After the destruction of the original Death Star in A New Hope and the new one in Return of the Jedi.
- WarGames. When David Lightman manages to convince the JOSHUA AI inhabiting the W.O.P.R. computer to not launch all of the U.S.'s missiles at the Soviet Union and start World War III, the NORAD command staff begins to cheer.
- In Without Warning, we are cut back to HQ while everyone's cheering and celebrating for a moment.
- In the Stargate SG-1 episode "Tangent" Teal'c and Jack are trapped in a modified death glider on a ballistic course out of the solar system. After Sam, Daniel, and Jacob Carter get there and beam them off the SGC control room erupts in cheers upon receiving their radio message.
- Happens after significant plot events in XCOM: Enemy Unknown, such as when you shoot down your first UFO and the game cuts back to HQ where everyone's cheering and celebrating this for a moment, or after taking down the akien HQ in Africa.
- In Ninja Gaiden 3, everyone in the control room cheers after Ryu succeeds in jumping between two planes so that he can get in time to the Black Narwhal (the aircraft carrier used by the villains).
- Family Guy: The Griffin family accidentally launch themselves in the space shuttle. After they successfully land, mission control erupts in cheers except one guy.
- Mars rover Curiosity's successful landing and the subsequent celebration at NASA (pictured above) is the iconic example from The New Tens.