Putting the 'Pal' in Principal
The school principal is an understanding authority figure that's popular with the kids.
For some reason in fiction, the school principal is seen as the most likable guy in the school. Could it be that the position of high authority has granted them wisdom and understanding of the plights of adolescents, or is it because he doesn't have to actually deal with the little brats directly day-in and day-out? You decide! Compare Badass Teacher, Cool Teacher and Psychologist Teacher as similar, but lower in the system's hierarchy. Contrast with Dean Bitterman. See also Benevolent Boss.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Headmistress Miranda Holbrooke from Little Witch Academia (next to Professor Ursula/Shiny Chariot) is the most reasonable staff member of Luna Nova, supporting Akko's desire to learn magic without giving her a hard time and dealing out stern but fair punishments whenever they are needed.
- Shinigami-Sama/Lord Death from Soul Eater is the immortal Grim Reaper and founder of Shibusen (or Death Weapon Meister Academy as it is called in the English dub), having created it to defend the world against witches and corrupt, evil souls. Originally a terrifying figure, Shinigami-sama altered his appearance and personality to be more child-friendly, turning himself into The Wonka. He is respected and beloved by everyone in the organization, his image and name plastered all over Death City and is even looked upon as a symbol of worship to some.
- Professor Xavier from the X-Men comics has long been seen as the most wise and peaceful of the mutants, which makes him well suited to run a school for the betterment of mutant teenagers.
- Professor Albus Dumbledore from Harry Potter was the Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry for the entirety of Harry Potter's stay there. He has had a long and eventful life in the wizarding world, including defeating infamous wizarding terrorist Gellert Grindelwald. He is generally well-liked among the forces of good, his approval rating much higher that Cornelius Fudge when he was running for the position of Minister (despite not running himself), is the only person that Lord Voldemort ever feared and is generally accepted as being the Big Good of the series. As Headmaster, he comes off as a bit of a Cloudcuckoolander, but is all-around a loved and respected member of the staff.
- iCarly: Principal Franklin is popular with his students, probably because he's the only adult in the school who is not a kid-hating sadist.
- In the DarkMatter2525 video God of the Paradox, Carl Sagan is portrayed as the Principal of God School. When Yahweh tries altering his diploma so that it says "God of Everything" instead of "God of Pastries" despite his major being in Culinary Arts, Sagan allows it, claiming that in order to make an apple pie from scratch, one must first create the universe.
- Professor Ozpin in RWBY, who is looked-up-to by just about every student in the school, and is willing to bend the rules a few times for his students' benefit.
- Erma has Principal Phibes. While the Creepy Cute Stringy-Haired Ghost Girl/Half-Human Hybrid title character unnerves most of the teachers, Phibes is blind, and thus 'Everyone is the same in his eyes'. He means it. - He's a Secret Keeper for a society of Rat Men living underneath the school, and Erma is not the only Half-Human Hybrid to attend his school.
- Principal Goodvibes from The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy is the dean of Endsville Elementary. He is generally portrayed as a lame but well-meaning school principal that gives out bad advice to characters that need them, and is generally the Butt-Monkey of whatever supernatural outbreak that happens to be going on at the time. He even admits that he had his name changed to Goodvibes legally.
- Dean Peterson from The Simpsons episode "Homer Goes to College" is laidback and friendly, and used to play bass for The Pretenders. Homer, however, is convinced that he has to be a "crusty old dean" like the ones in the college movies he sees.
- Jacob Two-Two: Principal I.M. Greedyguts' twin brother Y.B. Greedyguts looks this way, giving out hot chocolate to students, having heated rooms, and just being an all round nice guy. It's totally subverted when it turns out he's a Bitch in Sheep's Clothing and is actually worse than his brother, and the nice facade is to trick students and teachers into applying for his school, which is barely a school, but actually a place where people are forced to run on hamster wheels to generate energy.
- In Equestria Girls, Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna are just as caring, friendly and loving as their Pony counterparts.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.